show one category group on primary axis and one category group on secondary axis RRS feed

• Question

• Using: ssrs2012

I depict the number of students in a coulumn chart and it is broken down on the x-axis in class year followed by school year. The secondaru axis looks like this

1                         2

09-10 10-11     09-10  10-11

Instead of showing both class number and shool year at one axis I would like to show class number on the secondary x-axis and school year on the primary axis to make it more readable and allowing all labels to be displayed.

But it seems like tbe series is the unit of work which forces an axis and categories can not loosely be tied to an axis. Is there a workaround without introducing an extra series?

Monday, February 17, 2014 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hi giovi2012,

As per my understanding, display data on the Primary axis or Secondary axis is depended on the series fields in the Values area. If there is only one field in the Values area, then we can show category group on one axis, Primary axis or Secondary axis. If there are more than one field, we can display some fields on Primary axis, other fields on Secondary axis, but they will use the same axis values. And if there are more than one category group in the chart, the Secondary axis will only display the outermost group values.

So in your scenario, if we want to display class number on the Secondary x-axis, we can try to add an extra series to the chart, then modify the Horizontal axis to Secondary in the Series Properties. (Don’t forget make the class number group as the outermost group). If we don’t want to show the extra series on the chart, we can use the expression below to replace the expression of the series:
    =iif(Fields!Number.Value<>0,nothing,0)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:38 AM