ExpressRoute and VNET Forced Tunneling RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We recently had provisioned a circuit through our provider for private peering. At linking our VNET I noticed that all traffic including internet traffic was being forced through the ExpressRoute circuit. This broke some of our internet facing services which run on our VMs in this VNET. How do we disable what I assume is "force tunnelling" so that internet breakout is from Azure but traffic to our corporate network is sent through the ExpressRoute circuit? Reading documentation it seems to imply that as long as default routes (0.0.0.0/0) are not advertised through the BGP session we will be able to connect to the internet. Is this something that has to be done by the provider of the circuit?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is your ExpressRoute connection through an Exchange provider or a Network Provider?
    If its through a Network Provider you might have to contact your Network provider to make changes to your BGP session.
    If its through an Exchange provider you would have to make changes to your BGP session to configure your routers to return traffic to Azure through the public peering path or over the internet.

Regards,
    Malar.

• Marked as answer by PMLIO Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:05 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:38 AM

All replies

• Hello,

We are researching on the query and would get back to you soon on this. I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your time and patience in this matter.

Best Regards,

Kamalakar

Thursday, October 8, 2015 6:20 AM
  • Hi,

Is your ExpressRoute connection through an Exchange provider or a Network Provider?
    If its through a Network Provider you might have to contact your Network provider to make changes to your BGP session.
    If its through an Exchange provider you would have to make changes to your BGP session to configure your routers to return traffic to Azure through the public peering path or over the internet.

Regards,
    Malar.

• Marked as answer by PMLIO Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:05 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:38 AM