Unable to update a field that has a NULL value RRS feed

• Question

• User673814180 posted

I'm unable to update a field from page 1 if the starting value is NULL.  Once the value has been set, by a different page, then I can go back to page 1 and update that field.

I know just above zero about SQL. 

My update string, generated by Visual Web Studio is:

UpdateCommand="UPDATE [WaferTrack2] SET [Location] = @Location, [Slot] = @Slot, [Customer] = @Customer, [Fab] = @Fab, [Layer] = @Layer, [DR] = @DR, [Size] = @Size, [Notes] = @Notes, [Returned] = @Returned, [DateTimeStamp] = @DateTimeStamp, [Type] = @Type, [Owner] = @Owner, [AppsEng] = @AppsEng WHERE [ID] = @original_ID AND [Location] = @original_Location AND [Slot] = @original_Slot AND [Customer] = @original_Customer AND (([Fab] = @original_Fab) OR ([Fab] IS NULL AND @original_Fab IS NULL)) AND [Layer] = @original_Layer AND (([DR] = @original_DR) OR ([DR] IS NULL AND @original_DR IS NULL)) AND [Size] = @original_Size AND (([Notes] = @original_Notes) OR ([Notes] IS NULL AND @original_Notes IS NULL)) AND [Returned] = @original_Returned AND (([DateTimeStamp] = @original_DateTimeStamp) OR ([DateTimeStamp] IS NULL AND @original_DateTimeStamp IS NULL)) AND (([Type] = @original_Type) OR ([Type] IS NULL AND @original_Type IS NULL)) AND (([Owner] = @original_Owner) OR ([Owner] IS NULL AND @original_Owner IS NULL)) AND (([AppsEng] = @original_AppsEng) OR ([AppsEng] IS NULL AND @original_AppsEng IS NULL))"

Any ideas what I'm missing? 

Thanks

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:32 PM

Answers

• User-1407477457 posted

Now, about this machine generated code, let's try to make it easier to read.

WHERE [ID] = @original_ID

AND [Location] = @original_Location

AND [Slot] = @original_Slot

AND [Customer] = @original_Customer

AND (([Fab] = @original_Fab) OR ([Fab] IS NULL AND @original_Fab IS NULL))

AND [Layer] = @original_Layer

AND (([DR] = @original_DR) OR ([DR] IS NULL AND @original_DR IS NULL))

AND [Size] = @original_Size AND (([Notes] = @original_Notes) OR ([Notes] IS NULL AND @original_Notes IS NULL))

AND [Returned] = @original_Returned

AND (([DateTimeStamp] = @original_DateTimeStamp) OR ([DateTimeStamp] IS NULL AND @original_DateTimeStamp IS NULL))

AND (([Type] = @original_Type) OR ([Type] IS NULL AND @original_Type IS NULL))

AND (([Owner] = @original_Owner) OR ([Owner] IS NULL AND @original_Owner IS NULL))

AND (([AppsEng] = @original_AppsEng) OR ([AppsEng] IS NULL AND @original_AppsEng IS NULL))"

What is the primary key of the table?  If it's ID, once you have this:

why is the rest of that stuff in your where clause?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:48 PM
  • User673814180 posted

ID is the primary key and I don't know why all the extra stuff, as I said, i'm an SQL noob.

I removed the "stuff" and it works now.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:30 PM

All replies

• User1950091109 posted

The code is correct, please check the parameters values before the update, make sure that the parameters carrying the original values are null

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:48 PM
  • User673814180 posted

Thanks for the reply.  I've verified that the value in the table itself is NULL by going direclty to the table, but I don't know how to check the parameter and see its value.  There is no code behind the page to set a breakpoint so I'm at a loss here.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:32 PM
  • User-1407477457 posted

I'm unable to update a field from page 1 if the starting value is NULL.  Once the value has been set, by a different page, then I can go back to page 1 and update that field.

I know just above zero about SQL. 

My update string, generated by Visual Web Studio is:

UpdateCommand="UPDATE [WaferTrack2] SET [Location] = @Location, [Slot] = @Slot, [Customer] = @Customer, [Fab] = @Fab, [Layer] = @Layer, [DR] = @DR, [Size] = @Size, [Notes] = @Notes, [Returned] = @Returned, [DateTimeStamp] = @DateTimeStamp, [Type] = @Type, [Owner] = @Owner, [AppsEng] = @AppsEng WHERE [ID] = @original_ID AND [Location] = @original_Location AND [Slot] = @original_Slot AND [Customer] = @original_Customer AND (([Fab] = @original_Fab) OR ([Fab] IS NULL AND @original_Fab IS NULL)) AND [Layer] = @original_Layer AND (([DR] = @original_DR) OR ([DR] IS NULL AND @original_DR IS NULL)) AND [Size] = @original_Size AND (([Notes] = @original_Notes) OR ([Notes] IS NULL AND @original_Notes IS NULL)) AND [Returned] = @original_Returned AND (([DateTimeStamp] = @original_DateTimeStamp) OR ([DateTimeStamp] IS NULL AND @original_DateTimeStamp IS NULL)) AND (([Type] = @original_Type) OR ([Type] IS NULL AND @original_Type IS NULL)) AND (([Owner] = @original_Owner) OR ([Owner] IS NULL AND @original_Owner IS NULL)) AND (([AppsEng] = @original_AppsEng) OR ([AppsEng] IS NULL AND @original_AppsEng IS NULL))"

Any ideas what I'm missing? 

Thanks

First, I've heard good things about the book, Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes by Ben Forta.

AND (([DR] = @original_DR) OR ([DR] IS NULL AND @original_DR IS NULL)) AND [Size] = @original_Size AND (([Notes] = @original_Notes) OR ([Notes] IS NULL AND @original_Notes IS NULL))

AND (([DateTimeStamp] = @original_DateTimeStamp) OR ([DateTimeStamp] IS NULL AND @original_DateTimeStamp IS NULL))

AND (([Owner] = @original_Owner) OR ([Owner] IS NULL AND @original_Owner IS NULL))

AND (([AppsEng] = @original_AppsEng) OR ([AppsEng] IS NULL AND @original_AppsEng IS NULL))"

You state that you are unable to update a field if the starting value is null.  To which field do you refer?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:41 PM
  • User3866881 posted

Three suggestions for you  Lupin-III:)

1)In your aspx page,there should be something like UpdateParameters,please set DefaultValue="" for all the strings,and set ConvertEmptyStringToNull=True。

2)Check whether you've set DataKeyNames for GridView,or DataKeys for other controls like Repeater or something else。

3)Converting the Update to TemplateField,and then handle GridView_RowUpdating,plz use something like e.Command,e.Parameters to debug to see what's happening……

Reguards!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:42 PM
  • User673814180 posted

Dan - Thanks for helping on this.  The AppsEng field is the one giving me trouble.  It was added to the table after release. 

Edit: Apparently any field that does not have data already is not saving the update.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:18 AM
  • User673814180 posted

Decker - Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll take a look at this.

Three suggestions for you  Lupin-III:)

1)In your aspx page,there should be something like UpdateParameters,please set DefaultValue="" for all the strings,and set ConvertEmptyStringToNull=True。

2)Check whether you've set DataKeyNames for GridView,or DataKeys for other controls like Repeater or something else。

3)Converting the Update to TemplateField,and then handle GridView_RowUpdating,plz use something like e.Command,e.Parameters to debug to see what's happening……

Reguards!

Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:19 AM
  • User3866881 posted

Hello again:)

Welcome your feedback again!

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:56 PM
  • User-1407477457 posted

AND (([DR] = @original_DR) OR ([DR] IS NULL AND @original_DR IS NULL))

AND [Size] = @original_Size AND (([Notes] = @original_Notes) OR ([Notes] IS NULL AND @original_Notes IS NULL))

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:48 PM
  • User673814180 posted

ID is the primary key and I don't know why all the extra stuff, as I said, i'm an SQL noob.

I removed the "stuff" and it works now.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:30 PM