none
Autoplay on Flash or WMV not working RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using EW4 and I'm trying to edit an existing page created with other software.  I have tried creating a new page entirely in EW4 and get the same result.

What I need is to have an embedded video (can be Flash or WMV) to play upon page load.

I used the Insert, Media, Flash Movie (or Windows Media), chose the correct path to the file, etc.  I then right-clicked on the object and checked the box for autoplay on the general tab.  Using the preview, the page will load, but only shows the player.  Clicking on Play in the player's controls will play the video.

I tried adding the code <param name ="autoplay" value="true"> just to see what happens, but still no autoplay.

Any suggestions?

<object id="flash1" data="SWFs/MikeVideo.swf" height="200" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="200">
     <param name="movie" value="MikeVideo.swf">
    </object>

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:19 PM

All replies

• Are you previewing using the file system or the local development server? Go to Site > Site Settings > Preview and select the radio button for using the development server for all pages. Then try again. If that doesn't work, publish the page and associated files then come back here with a url to the published page.
    Expression Web Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Expression Web forums
    Friday, February 18, 2011 4:30 PM
  • I don't know if it will necessarily make any difference in this case (I have found that in some cases the autoplay=on option must be set when the swf is created; other times, apparently not, depending upon player and creator), but since your video is in swf format, you might consider using swfobject instead of the default EW embedding.

Here is some extensive information on using swfobject dynamic publishing to control pretty much any aspect of the object that you wish to control. Take a look, and you may find that this method provides you more granular control, and perhaps overcomes the autoplay issue that you are currently experiencing.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Cheryl,

Sorry about the slow reply, I've been in a couple "snowstorms of the century" in the past few days.

I am previewing using the file system on the local PC, don't have access to a dev server for this project.   Do you think this might be part of the problem?

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:00 PM
  • You do have access to a Dev server because one is built into EW. Go to Site > Site Settings and check the box to use the development server for all pages not just asp.net & php pages. Playing active content is often blocked when previewing from the file system by local security settings. If that doesn't fix it post a link to the page on the web.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Cheryl,

Here's a sample page I created with a 23 second video embedded (created with Camtasia 7).  Flash options in EW for "autoplay" and "loop" are both checked.  The video player appears, but the play arrow still needs to be clicked to start playback.

The file I embedded was SampleVideo_controller.swf and I have the SampleVideo.MP4 imported into the same folder.

www.sandalwood.com/autoplay/autoplaytest.html

Thanks for your input.

Monday, February 28, 2011 3:26 PM