none
visual studio 2013 error: template attempted to load component assembly "Microsoft.DriverKit.DriverWizard, Version=6.3.0.0

Question

• visual studio 2013

Installed UMDF Driver Kit using the VS2013 menu Tool | Extensions and Updates. Search, User Mode Driver. Installed User Mode Driver, WRL (UMDF). Install of UMDF completed successfully.

Created a new project, project type: Templates | Visual C++ | Windows Driver | WDF | User Mode Driver, WRL (UMDF).

Error: this template attempted to load component assembly "Microsoft.DriverKit.DriverWizard, Version=6.3.0.0

I attempted to correct the problem by uninstalling the template, restarting VS2013, installing the template. Got the same error.

I attempted to correct the problem by updating VS2013 and restarting Windows. Got the same error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bruce

Friday, February 24, 2017 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I followed your description, and found the same issue is existing in my VS ultimate 2013 with update 5. I have reported this issue to the VS Product Team and please have a look at this: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3125050 and you can vote it, then we need to waiting for the feedback from the VS Product Team.

Meanwhile, I found some troubleshot methods as below and you can have a try:

1. Go to Tools-Extensions and Updates, uninstall the Nuget Package Management of Visual Studio 2013 and reinstall it, then reopen VS 2013

2. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features and right click the VS 2013, Change-Repair

3. Go to Tools-Extensions and Updates-Updates, install the pending updates and restart the VS 2013

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 27, 2017 8:24 AM
  • After completing the above steps, I still get the same error.

Is there a log file I can send to help diagnoze the problem?

Thanks,

Bruce

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:43 PM
  • One more piece of info. I have many VS versions, SDKs, and WDMs installed. I ran out of free space on C:, so some kits are installed on E:.

Windows 7 Professional SP1

C:\Windows

Visual Studio 2008

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

Visual Studio 2013

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

Visual Studio 2015

"E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

Windows SDK 6.0A

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A

Window SDK 7.1

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1

Windows Dirver Kit (WDK) 10

"E:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your update.

I already reported this issue to the VS Product Team, please check this: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3125050 and waiting for the reply, you can vote it and leave message in there, it will help you to directly know the progress of this issue. I will also update the status in here, if the VS product team engineer provide some troubleshot steps or workarounds. Sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:10 AM