store numbers with variable RRS feed

• Question

• User2146470223 posted

Hi,

Is there a way to store a number within a string so that with the next query it would be easier to see that this part can be easily replaced by number?

very easy example:

36 °C -> x °C

or even with regex: [0-9] °C

In usage the string can be much more complex or the number nested way further in the middle of a complex string. It would be just to be able to call a string with a certain 'like' structre which could contain any possible number.

taking the above example: find that stored string even if I look for "9 °C" or would it be the best solution to only look for regex number "[0-9] °C"?

Though it would be easier for me if it could be stored as such a recognizable variable to the system.

I hope you get the point.

Thanks in advance,

Pascal

Monday, April 6, 2015 7:19 PM

Answers

• User1711366110 posted

36 °C -> x °C

As per your case, I suggest you to create RULE with regex & have to bind in particular column in your table like below example :

--------Table----------
    create table weather(
    location varchar(50),
    degree varchar(50))

------Create Rule -----------------
    CREATE RULE [dbo].[Temperature] 
    AS
    @column like '[0-9][0-9] °C';

-----Bind Rule for particular table column--------------
    EXEC sp_bindrule  '[dbo].[Temperature]','weather.degree'

insert into weather(location,degree) values('Texas','36 °C');
    insert into weather(location,degree) values('Los angeles','06 °C');

select * from weather where degree like '[0-9][0-9] °C';

-----UnBind Rule for particular table column------------
    EXEC sp_unbindrule  'weather.degree'

-----Drop Rule------------
    drop rule [dbo].[Temperature] 

Click here to know more about RULE in sqlserver

--
    with regards,
    Edwin

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 6, 2015 10:01 PM
  • User2146470223 posted

Hi Edwin,

Sorry for the late reply but had quite some stress at work before I could go on with my little programming project.

In fact your idea can still be used, even if I don't know where the numbers will be in the string. As soon as numbers are used in a string I will simply replace them with regex to query for the string.

I have 2 cars.                   ->  … where column = 'I have I have \d*.?\d*|\d*,?\d* cars\.'

We had to pay 2,51 EUR.  ->  … where column = 'We had to pay \d*.?\d*|\d*,?\d* EUR\.'

They paid 1.10 USD.        ->  … where column = 'They paid \d*.?\d*|\d*,?\d* USD\.'

So numbers will automatically be replaced in the query by \d*.?\d*|\d*,?\d* to get all possible numbers or decimals, no matter which locale settings were used when writing the string, in one query.

Thanks,

Pascal

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:22 PM

All replies

• User1711366110 posted

36 °C -> x °C

As per your case, I suggest you to create RULE with regex & have to bind in particular column in your table like below example :

--------Table----------
    create table weather(
    location varchar(50),
    degree varchar(50))

------Create Rule -----------------
    CREATE RULE [dbo].[Temperature] 
    AS
    @column like '[0-9][0-9] °C';

-----Bind Rule for particular table column--------------
    EXEC sp_bindrule  '[dbo].[Temperature]','weather.degree'

insert into weather(location,degree) values('Texas','36 °C');
    insert into weather(location,degree) values('Los angeles','06 °C');

select * from weather where degree like '[0-9][0-9] °C';

-----UnBind Rule for particular table column------------
    EXEC sp_unbindrule  'weather.degree'

-----Drop Rule------------
    drop rule [dbo].[Temperature] 

Click here to know more about RULE in sqlserver

--
    with regards,
    Edwin

Monday, April 6, 2015 10:01 PM
  • User2146470223 posted

Hi Edwin,

Well it's not about a table for temperatures, as I said this was only a very simple example. It can also be even much more complex.

e.g.: In the year 2000 5 million people had to leave their homes within 2 days as a boming of their city.

So all the figures should be replaced. It could be a phrase from every possible field like engineering, sciences, maths, economy aso. ;)

But if I get you right, storing is not possible but only using regex to query the result. The problem is that I never know in advance where the figures will be in a string, so I guess every time I concatenate the query from an existing string I will have to replace figures with regex when they come up.

regards,

Pascal

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:21 AM
  • User2146470223 posted

Hi Edwin,

Sorry for the late reply but had quite some stress at work before I could go on with my little programming project.

In fact your idea can still be used, even if I don't know where the numbers will be in the string. As soon as numbers are used in a string I will simply replace them with regex to query for the string.

I have 2 cars.                   ->  … where column = 'I have I have \d*.?\d*|\d*,?\d* cars\.'

We had to pay 2,51 EUR.  ->  … where column = 'We had to pay \d*.?\d*|\d*,?\d* EUR\.'

They paid 1.10 USD.        ->  … where column = 'They paid \d*.?\d*|\d*,?\d* USD\.'

So numbers will automatically be replaced in the query by \d*.?\d*|\d*,?\d* to get all possible numbers or decimals, no matter which locale settings were used when writing the string, in one query.

Thanks,

Pascal

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:22 PM