Scripted entire Database stored procedures are not executing RRS feed

• Question

• User606090160 posted

Hello, I wanted to create a copy of an asp.net 4.5 application.  I scripted the entire database and all objects, permission therein excluding the data.  I populated all the tables, ran the app logged in but none of the stored procedures are executing nor is it giving me an error to help me locate where the issue is occurring.  The original works fine, i have try catch blocks that aren't working meaning the code executes with no errors.   I also inserted try catch on one of the stored procedures too but again it executes without error??  So i assume this is a permission issue?  I tried to add appropriate permissions to assumed user account, but i am wondering since the copy is the app using a different sql user? Is there a way i can tell if the stored proc is executing, or can i tell what user is user is accessing the data base (IUSR, network service, etc)??

Thanks

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:03 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

If the issue was permissions, you would get errors. What I would do is use SQL Profiler to ensure that the queries are being executed. Also, check the connection string to see which database is being used, then check the database to ensure that data is actually in the tables. Finally, add breakpoints in the code to ensure that the methods are being reached and executed.

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 6:52 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

Have a look at the Windows log to check if you see something. An app won't fail silently this way. Could it be that you have an exception while trying to process an exception?

Also sometimes an app is written to skip an action if something is not correctly configured rather than  just failing. So the app doesn't what you expect and technically speaking doesn't have any error to show. Which db are you using? You often a way to trace SQL statements sent to the db engine (or VS does this but it may depend on which edition you are using).

Edit: what happens to make you think SP are not called ? If this is because you see no data change in the new db, could it be because the connection string still points to the old db ????

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:17 AM