Can't use "#" in instance names, causes "One or more XTP counters value retrieval failed: 0x800007d5" when an Alert is configured. RRS feed

• Question

• Recently discovered this issue, couldn't find any info about it. Proved it with multiple SQL 2016 Standard installs.

Monday, August 28, 2017 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hello,

See Instance Name => "Named instance" for naming rules; "Embedded spaces or other special characters are not allowed in instance names" so you can not use # in the instance name.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Tom Phillips Monday, August 28, 2017 12:58 PM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Hi ZCase,

First, “Embedded spaces or other special characters are not allowed in instance names”, so you can’t use '#' in naming an instance, as Olaf Helper mentioned.

Despite you can rename the computer name portion of SQL server installation, but you can’t change the instance name instead. So I suggest you uninstall the installed instance and try to install another one.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 28, 2017 8:16 AM
  • # is the only special available, its not supported on SQL Express. I have been using it for over 12 years mainly on SQL Enterprise clusters for a number of reasons. Comes in handy when you have about 15 instances, managing mount points when using a large number of disks, naming and expanding LUN's etc..

Point to note when tracings SPN's the # is delimited with a \. 

I plan to use a different convection for our new SQL Farm.
    Thought I should post this issue should some one else experience issues with XTP messages. 

Monday, August 28, 2017 8:15 PM
  • Hi ZCase,

# within your instance name causes PDH not to be able to find the instance as PDH uses # in a counter path. Thus if a provider uses #, PDH will not parse the full counter path to obtain the counter and instances names.

I found this link that has similar issue as yours, hope it helps.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Hannah

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:45 AM