COM exception throw in running Coded UI test cases via customized NUnit in x64 OS RRS feed

• Question

• I add some code changes on NUnit to make Coded UI test cases runnble (since I don't want to install VS/Test Agent), it works very well in x32 OS after Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Playback.Engine.dll registered manually.

The problem is that same approach doesn't work in x64 OS and throw following error:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.PlaybackFailureException : Cannot perform '' on the control. Additional Details: The control details were not specified.  ----> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException : Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {6DA215C2-D80D-42F2-A514-B44A16DCBAAA} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

Seems it's a problem of 32-bit dll COM register in x64 OS but I have no idea how to get started to solve it. Is there any possible method I can refer to?

totta wang
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:52 AM

Answers

• I have make my app works. Thank you
    totta wang
    • Marked as answer by totta wang Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:51 AM

All replies

• Coded UI Test binaries are not supported to be running in 64bit mode, but they can be used (i.e., 32bit binaries) to test a 64bit app on a 64bit OS.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:56 AM
  • could you please provide some idea how can I make my application work in x64 OS?
    totta wang
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:03 AM
  • I assume you have following scenario:

Test binary/Application => Where actually you are leveraging Coded UI Test binaries to do recording/playback.

ApplicationUnderTest => Actual app that you are trying to test using Test binary/application.

I was trying to say that the architecture of ApplicationUnderTest does not matter but your 'Test binary/application' should always be running in 32bit mode. To do this please compile it in x86 mode, by default binaries are compiled in AnyCPU mode.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:27 AM
  • I have make my app works. Thank you
    totta wang
    • Marked as answer by totta wang Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:51 AM
  • We run into the same problem. The client that executes the coded ui test is 32-bit, but we weren't able to register the Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Playback.Engine.dll. Regsvr32 gave an error: The module was loaded but the entry-point DllInstall was not found. How did you register the dll manually?
    Monday, April 11, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi, i'm having the exact same problem as you described.  I am registering the playback.engine.dll manually, but, on x64 the test fails with class not registered.

Can you please explain how you solved this problem?

Thanks

-justin

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Seems that we're all having the same problem...someone please respond with a fix or workaround.

Friday, May 11, 2012 11:34 AM
  • The exe which runs the codeduitest needs to be a 32 bit exe. Playback dll is a 32bit build dll.

Thanks & Regards Siddhartha

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:59 PM