none
Accessing the accelerometer and floor clip plane without a visible skeleton RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to read the accelerometer and floor clip plane data without a skeleton in view. I think SkeletonEngine.GetNextFrame returns null (C#) if there is no skeleton visible, so it appears that it is not possible to access the accelerometer and floor clip plane without a person present. Am I doing something wrong/stupid or is this a limitation of the API?

Thanks,

-Ben

Friday, June 17, 2011 7:51 AM

Answers

• There is no API provided in the beta SDK for direct access to the accelerometer data. Sorry about that. Hopefully you can find most of the functionality you're looking for.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Benjamin,

I believe you are right when stating that it is not possible to access the Accelerometer and FloorClipPlane without having a person in front the sensor.

The documentation states the following on this; The floor clip plane can be found in the vFloorClipPlane member of the NUI_SKELETON_FRAME structure in the native interface and in the SkeletonFrame.FloorClipPlane field in the managed interface.

The SkeletonFrame object is only available when the SkeletonFrameReady event is raised. I'm also wondering why these properties are defined on the SkeletonFrame instead of a seperate object which uses the internal accelerometer to calculate the given properties.

Once again the documentation; For these reasons, each skeleton frame contains a vector that describes the normal to gravity value. The value is a measurement from an internal three-axis accelerometer that has been calibrated to align with the image sensor. In the absence of motion, the accelerometer measures a 1-g normal force to gravity. This can be treated as an upward vector.

Cheers,
    Michael 

Friday, June 17, 2011 9:24 AM
  • There is no API provided in the beta SDK for direct access to the accelerometer data. Sorry about that. Hopefully you can find most of the functionality you're looking for.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:22 AM