Debug won't stop at break points after runniing Visual Studio for a while. I have to close Visual Studio, then re load and things work fine RRS feed

• Question

• User-858993849 posted

For some reason, after using Visual Studio for a while, debug works bug except that it quits stopping at break points.  Close the app, reload it and it works.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:51 AM

Answers

• User-87306394 posted

It happened to me once...at that time , I have disabled some break points and tried(Not all) ..and then it works properly....AFterwards , you just  enable all BREAK POINTS as per the requirement.....u may try

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:04 AM
  • User281315223 posted

Are any exceptions being thrown within your app or something that might otherwise indicate a "crash"? Typically once Visual Studio loses contact with the active debugger process for your application, some of your previous breakpoints might not be hit.

Is it possible that you may have accidently clicked on the breakpoint during execution (which would essentially turn it off for the remainder of that debugger session)? Additionally, if you are using an application that spawns multiple threads or something similar it could be possible that the Visual Studio debugger isn't capturing those newly spawned threads.

It's a bit tough to troubleshoot the issue as we can just estimate at what might be causing the issue. 

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:37 AM
  • User281315223 posted

The only thing that I can think of is that your app somehow "stops" running possibly due to some kind of issue like an exception or some other unforeseen issue. If you are experiencing this within all of your applications, you might consider either reinstalling Visual Studio (or repairing your installation) and ensuring that you have all of the appropriate updates and service packs for it.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:19 AM

All replies

• User-87306394 posted

It happened to me once...at that time , I have disabled some break points and tried(Not all) ..and then it works properly....AFterwards , you just  enable all BREAK POINTS as per the requirement.....u may try

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:04 AM
  • User281315223 posted

Are any exceptions being thrown within your app or something that might otherwise indicate a "crash"? Typically once Visual Studio loses contact with the active debugger process for your application, some of your previous breakpoints might not be hit.

Is it possible that you may have accidently clicked on the breakpoint during execution (which would essentially turn it off for the remainder of that debugger session)? Additionally, if you are using an application that spawns multiple threads or something similar it could be possible that the Visual Studio debugger isn't capturing those newly spawned threads.

It's a bit tough to troubleshoot the issue as we can just estimate at what might be causing the issue. 

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:37 AM
  • User-858993849 posted

Thanks for the effort. It is really strange, and does it with all of my apps.  I load the application, set break points, go into debug and everything works fine. I exit, go back in and it works fine. But sooner or later doing nothing but going in and out of debug it will show it is in debug, but it doesnt' stop at the break points. I have break points set for loading in Page_Load event and so when if it is working, it automatically goes to a break point upon entering debug.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:11 AM
  • User281315223 posted

The only thing that I can think of is that your app somehow "stops" running possibly due to some kind of issue like an exception or some other unforeseen issue. If you are experiencing this within all of your applications, you might consider either reinstalling Visual Studio (or repairing your installation) and ensuring that you have all of the appropriate updates and service packs for it.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:19 AM