Problem using synchronous command in OOBE pass RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I have some problem using synchronous commands in OOBE pass.

First of all, I must say that I'm actually using an evaluation version of ICE and a trial key for WES7 system. That may be part of the problem, I really don't know even if I don't think so.

I created an answer file where I added 2 synchronous commands (using Insert->Synchronous Command->Pass7) decribed below :

- CommandLine : C:\Setup\VCREDIST_X86_FR.EXE

- CommandLine : %windir% msiexec /i c:\Setup\myinstall.msi

These 2 commands are visible under FirstLogonCommands in Windows Embedded Edition Settings.

As you see, the first one is used to install VisualC++ 2008 redistributable package while the second one will install myprog.

My problem is that the second command never starts.

Once finished I can see at Programs installed in Control Panel that VC2008 redistributable package has been installed but for any reason the second command has not been launched.

If I invert these 2 commands, install of MyProg starts but don't finish correctly as MyProg need VC2008 package to be installed.

Of course these 2 programs have been included in my DS under $OEM$ Folders and I can see them in C:\Setup\ directory once everything is finished.

Does someone have an idea about what happend ?

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply.

You were absolutely right. My only problem was about the command syntax.

If I do "C:\Windows\System32\msiexec /i c:\Setup\MyInstall.msi", everything is working fine.

As you see, there is no problem using full backslash in this case.

Can go further :-))

Friday, January 28, 2011 1:30 PM

All replies

• The best way I've found to diagnose synchronous commands is to try and manually run them on the device by typing in the command in a command prompt.

For your second command, I'm seeing a couple of problems:

1. msiexec.exe is located at c:\Windows\system32. %windir% maps to c:\Windows
    2. You would probably need a \ instead of a space after %windir% if you wanted to use a program within %windir%
    I'd try out "C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /i c:\Setup/myinstall.msi" and see if that works.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply.

You were absolutely right. My only problem was about the command syntax.

If I do "C:\Windows\System32\msiexec /i c:\Setup\MyInstall.msi", everything is working fine.

As you see, there is no problem using full backslash in this case.

Can go further :-))

Friday, January 28, 2011 1:30 PM