none
Managed COM object fail to initialize after .NET 3.5 SP1 was installed RRS feed

• Question

• A few years ago my we created a managed COM object in .NET 1.1 that is initialized from an unmanaged C++ appliacation. This module has been working for years now. Both .net 2.0 and .net 3.5 have later been installed on the same computer without causing problems for the original setup.

A few days ago .NET 3.5 SP1 was installed on the computer and suddenly the COM object fail to initialze. The CoCreateInstance method in the C++ application fails with HRESULT 0x80131534.

I have searched all over the internet for an explanation, but so far without luck. I have also tried to use the fusion log to get more information about the assembly binding but the logs look similar both with SP1 installed and not, except for the additional referenced assemblies that are actually loaded when the main assembly is succesfully initialized.

Can anyone please help?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:44 AM

Answers

• A static constructor in the managed code threw an exception.  You'll need to beef up your exception handling in C++ to get better details, although loss of essential exception info is unavoidable.  Use IErrorInfo to ask for details.  Debugging it with a managed debugger and using Debug + Exception, Thrown checkbox should work too.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:57 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:00 PM