Showing team build progress as Visual Studio does RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I guess it's a hardcore question... I wanna start Team Build not from the standard VS2005 menu item ("Build Team Project <...>") but from my custom menu item associated with my custom VS plug-in... the point is that I need to specify much more Team Build parameters than just "Build machine" and "Build directory".

I see no problems here except for showing the progress of the operation. Of course I can redirect output to some window but it will look not so nice as Visual Studio does itself by default. I got a crazy idea: what if this default VS document (showing build progress in a separate tab) can be somehow re-used in my code? I hope someone from Microsoft can open a secret Smile

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:00 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, the answer is the same. There is not a way for you to open up any of the build windows from code. You could open the web version of the build report in a browser or within Visual Studio. The URL is something like http://<server>:<port>/Build/Build.aspx?artifactMoniker=BuildId

The buildId is the number portion of the build Uri. To open this in VS, the code looks something like...

DTE dte = (DTE)GetService(typeof(DTE));

dte.ItemOperations.Navigate(url, vsNavigateOptions.vsNavigateOptionsNewWindow);

Hope that helps,

Jason

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:38 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, we didn't make this part of VS extensible. I know it was a little short sited, but we will fix it eventually (I hope). The only secret I can give you is that the windows are done in Managed code, which means you can use .net reflection to peek inside. However, this is very dangerous and may lead to a very unstable product. So, I wouldn't recommend it.

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:35 PM
  • OK, I will be satisfied with the standard progress window - if I will be able to invoke this window from code of my VS add-in (I do know the corresponding BuildURI).

Is there a way to do that?

Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:22 PM
  • Unfortunately, the answer is the same. There is not a way for you to open up any of the build windows from code. You could open the web version of the build report in a browser or within Visual Studio. The URL is something like http://<server>:<port>/Build/Build.aspx?artifactMoniker=BuildId

The buildId is the number portion of the build Uri. To open this in VS, the code looks something like...

DTE dte = (DTE)GetService(typeof(DTE));

dte.ItemOperations.Navigate(url, vsNavigateOptions.vsNavigateOptionsNewWindow);

Hope that helps,

Jason

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:38 PM