Any 3D tutorials for XNA? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

does anyone know where can I find any tutorials, help etc. for developing 3D games with XNA?

I've played with 2D sprites, its all nice, now I want to move on :)
    I would like to be able to create simple things like terrain, skybox , move around map etc.

Is this possible or I have to wait for beta2 / final release?

Thanks,
    ErnisJ
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:17 AM

Answers

• http://www.thehazymind.com/

Do a Google search (I almost wrote google it but I heard they are beginning to sue people for that).

You have access to the vertexbuffers etc. so you can do anything you want in 3D it's a lot of code if you want to do 3D models and animation.

Skybox and terrain is something you want to write on your own without waiting for XNA Beta 2. Read a little on gamedev.net regarding terrain and you will be able to figure it out pretty easily.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 7:09 AM
  • Yes wait with 3D models, but heightmaps and skybox is probably something you need to implement anyway.
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:57 PM

All replies

• http://www.thehazymind.com/

Do a Google search (I almost wrote google it but I heard they are beginning to sue people for that).

You have access to the vertexbuffers etc. so you can do anything you want in 3D it's a lot of code if you want to do 3D models and animation.

Skybox and terrain is something you want to write on your own without waiting for XNA Beta 2. Read a little on gamedev.net regarding terrain and you will be able to figure it out pretty easily.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 7:09 AM
  • Thanks a lot exal!

I'll check the link you've provided. I also have bought book called Beginning 3D Game Programming by Tom Miller, its for managed DirectX, I hope it should help me as well.

Thanks,
    ErnisJ
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:40 AM
  • I am sure it will.

However the way to create vertex lists, custom vertex formats etc. are changed so it's easier to read a tutorial about how to do that. I had a few problems creating a custom format for my particle system but it worked out in the end.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 12:55 PM
  • Beta 2 only sounds like its days off, I would sugguest you wait
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 2:13 PM
  • Yes wait with 3D models, but heightmaps and skybox is probably something you need to implement anyway.
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:57 PM
  • Alright, I have XNA 2.0, and I have written a program to read a simple heightmap and load up the vertices. But I am getting a strange error. It says:

Both a valid vertex shader and  pixel shader (or valid effect) must be set on the device before draw operations may be performed. And is pointing to:

graphics.GraphicsDevice.DrawIndexedPrimitives(PrimitiveType.TriangleList, 0, 0, Terrain.WIDTH * Terrain.HEIGHT, 0, terrain.indices.Length / 3); This draw method. I honastly have very little clue what the problem is. Any help would be nice.
    Friday, November 10, 2006 10:33 PM
  • You're probably trying to make you DirectX code work? One of the main differences between MDX and XNA is that you need to load an effect that contains a vertex and pixel shader before you can draw anything. This effect file must be written in HLSL, but you can also use the BasicEffect class, which provides basic functionality.

I've written a series of XNA tutorials that do exactly what you're trying to do here. You can find the corresponding section at http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/XNA/Csharp/Series1/Indices.php, and a few chapters earlier you can find a more detailed description of effects and techniques.

Saturday, November 11, 2006 2:43 PM
  • Thank you, I was trying to convert my code over. Apart from the fact that I understand little to nothing of MDX I understand even less of XNA, though so far it does seem easier. Until I got here. But I am sure with the help of your tutorials, and many hours of staring at my code wondering what I am doing wrong, I will figure it out. Again, very helpful post, and I will update on whether or not I can get it figured out.
    Saturday, November 11, 2006 5:19 PM
  • All the Hazy Mind tutorials have since been updated to beta2, and one of them contains an implementation of a simple skybox class on top of the object class provided in the previous tutorials. Loading models and using custom shaders with them is the next tutorial in line.
    Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:53 AM