Can't get Windows Developer Preview to install after 5 downloads

Question

• hello.

i m  so sorry to say that but i just give up to installing windows 8. i download it 5 times and burn it 12 times but so bad i will suicide because of it.

please Microsoft make us an new qualified Link Files in it are in exe or Archive.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/d9f5f8ff-4c1a-4c57-86c9-1e8ac6b0ed60

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/71ca8d4a-457b-48cc-b02f-9ded95b62c76

Original Title: I give up :( 5 times download
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please do the following:

1. Download  Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier (FCIV) utility that will verify the SHA-1 hash sum.
    2. Unpack the self-extractable archive by executing the downloaded EXE or use a tool such as 7-Zip/WinRAR. You can download 7-Zip here. Unfortunately, expand doesn't support unpacking of SFX CAB archives. If the file 
    3. Calculate the SHA-1 sum for the ISO file with Windows Developer Preview setup by executing at command prompt (this is an example, specify your actual file name):
    4. fciv.exe -sha1 WindowsDeveloperPreview-64bit-English-Developer.iso
    5. The resulting SHA-1 sum should be one of those listed on this page depending on chosen distribution.
    6. If it's different, chances are your ISO is corrupted (or you have downloaded the ISO from any other location)
    7. Download the ISO from MSFT servers.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:18 PM

All replies

• Hi salahnecibi,

I am truly sorry too for not being able to help you out as yet, the two links above surely cover most of the issues connected to download and burning the ISO to a disk. I'm sure you are downloading it from the right Microsoft link and using the correct tool, prescribed above, to burn it into a bootable disk. So its fair to assume its not a case of either a bad download or a bad burn. You probably have installation issues, but let's wait for some experienced guys to reply to that.

In the mean time, I think you can save your time by searching for installation issues, read the issues discussed on this link and try to find some answers to your satisfaction. Should you not be able to do that, please post back the details of your efforts and specific error messages, if you are getting any during the installation.

Irfan
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 12:52 PM
  • hello.

i m so sorry to say that but i just give up to installing windows 8. i download it 5 times and burn it 12 times but so bad i will suicide because of it.
    The first thing you absolutey have to do is check the SHA-1 hash of the download. Once that is correct, you do not have to waste any more time or bandwidth dowloading, and can focus on burning (if that is indeed the issue).

Have you tried installing using a bootable USB stick or flash memory card?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 1:33 PM
  • hello.

i m so sorry to say that but i just give up to installing windows 8. i download it 5 times and burn it 12 times but so bad i will suicide because of it.
    The first thing you absolutey have to do is check the SHA-1 hash of the download. Once that is correct, you do not have to waste any more time or bandwidth dowloading, and can focus on burning (if that is indeed the issue).

Have you tried installing using a bootable USB stick or flash memory card?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

how i check the hash???

and please if the a possibility to install it from usb diskcan u show me a tutorial please

i have 3 usb disk every one is 2 Gb .

may i use multiple disk usb.

please help me

Sunday, December 25, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Hi salahnecibi,

The SHA-1 hash numbers for each download is given on the Microsoft site from where you will download the WDP. The Windows USB/DVD Download Tool can be used to install WDP the same way as from the DVD, i.e. by changing the boot options. You have to use a USB of a size in accordance with the size of the download, for instance, up to 4 GB for all versions of WDP except the X64 versions with Tools which may need a higher capacity USB. I don't think you can use multiple USB's.
    Hope this helps.

Irfan
    • Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, December 25, 2011 4:37 PM grammar
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

Please do the following:

1. Download  Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier (FCIV) utility that will verify the SHA-1 hash sum.
    2. Unpack the self-extractable archive by executing the downloaded EXE or use a tool such as 7-Zip/WinRAR. You can download 7-Zip here. Unfortunately, expand doesn't support unpacking of SFX CAB archives. If the file 
    3. Calculate the SHA-1 sum for the ISO file with Windows Developer Preview setup by executing at command prompt (this is an example, specify your actual file name):
    4. fciv.exe -sha1 WindowsDeveloperPreview-64bit-English-Developer.iso
    5. The resulting SHA-1 sum should be one of those listed on this page depending on chosen distribution.
    6. If it's different, chances are your ISO is corrupted (or you have downloaded the ISO from any other location)
    7. Download the ISO from MSFT servers.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:18 PM