How to open a window without address bar? RRS feed

• Question

• User1762613338 posted

Hello ,

I want to open a new window  without address bar after successfull login.i know the client side javascript for this task that is

function pop( location )

{

var winWidth = 400 ;

var winHeight = 400 ;

var posLeft = ( screen.width - winWidth ) / 2 ;

var posTop = ( screen.height - winHeight ) / 2 ;

myWindow = window.open( location,'mywindow','width=' + winWidth + ',height=' + winHeight +',top=' + posTop + ',left=' + posLeft +

',resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no,titlebar=no,' +

'location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,copyhistory=no' ) ;

}

But Problem is that after clicking login button who check for users in sql database; It is server side code.

Now i dont know how to Open the next page in a window without address bar??[8-)]

please help.....!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 1:47 AM

Answers

• User1762613338 posted

please give me the possible solution to achieve this [8-)].......!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:34 AM
  • User1762613338 posted

hello;

Can i write above mentioned script in page load event of the redirected page.........?

if yes then please guid me how i can implement it.......!

Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:37 AM
  • User613958134 posted

I tried this my end and it worked.

I added your pop() functionto my javascript section in my aspx.  Then, in the server-side Page_Load event, i added the following code

string myURL = "MyCrazyPage.aspx";
    this.Controls.Add(new LiterControl("<script>javascript:pop(\"" + myURL +"\");"));
    Hope this helps :¬)
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:10 AM
  • User613958134 posted

for crying out loud!!  sometime this forums plays games with my.  I'll start again

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
     {
         string myURL = "SomePage.aspx";
         this.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl("<script>javascript:pop(\"" + myURL + "\");</script>"));
     }

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:17 AM
  • User1762613338 posted

thanks Hoonius

You have provided me the perfect solution to my problem. Thank you very much.[Yes][:)]

please do me a favour, please explain me 2nd line of code.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 2:03 AM
  • User613958134 posted

the Controls.Add() bit just adds a new LiteralControl to the page.  This can be anything that would normally exist in a web page, in this case it's a little bit of javascript.  since it's just a call to your method, the browser reads the page as normal, then see's this script portion which it will try and execute since it's not in a function construct. The piece we added calls your pop() method, passing in a URL of your choice, and pop() goes on to do it's window.open thing.

I'm not sure if it's best practise or whatever, but it certainly got me out of a few holes in the past.  You can also close that window from server-side code by issueing a <script>javascript:window.close()</script> literal on a button click or something.  This should work on popups but i think the browser will complain if you try and close the main window like this

glad to have been of assistance :¬)

Thursday, February 1, 2007 4:46 AM

All replies

• User487807879 posted
    I'm not sure, but I think you can't do that in any way with the latest version of browsers (IE7, FF2..) because they don't support this option for security reasons.
    Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:30 AM
  • User1762613338 posted

please give me the possible solution to achieve this [8-)].......!

Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:34 AM
  • User1762613338 posted

hello;

Can i write above mentioned script in page load event of the redirected page.........?

if yes then please guid me how i can implement it.......!

Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:37 AM
  • User613958134 posted

I tried this my end and it worked.

I added your pop() functionto my javascript section in my aspx.  Then, in the server-side Page_Load event, i added the following code

string myURL = "MyCrazyPage.aspx";
    this.Controls.Add(new LiterControl("&lt;script>javascript:pop(\"" + myURL +"\");"));
    Hope this helps :¬)
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:10 AM
  • User613958134 posted

that last code didn;t come out right and this damn forum does not allow you to edit posts

this.Controls.Add(new LiterControl("<script>javascript:pop(\"" + myURL +"\");</script>")); 

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:12 AM
  • User613958134 posted

That last line didn;t come out right and i can't edit posts here it seems :¬(

this.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl("<script>javascript:pop(\"" + myURL +"\");</script>")); 

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:13 AM
  • User613958134 posted

for crying out loud!!  sometime this forums plays games with my.  I'll start again

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
     {
         string myURL = "SomePage.aspx";
         this.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl("<script>javascript:pop(\"" + myURL + "\");</script>"));
     }

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:17 AM
  • User1762613338 posted

thanks Hoonius

You have provided me the perfect solution to my problem. Thank you very much.[Yes][:)]

please do me a favour, please explain me 2nd line of code.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 2:03 AM
  • User613958134 posted

the Controls.Add() bit just adds a new LiteralControl to the page.  This can be anything that would normally exist in a web page, in this case it's a little bit of javascript.  since it's just a call to your method, the browser reads the page as normal, then see's this script portion which it will try and execute since it's not in a function construct. The piece we added calls your pop() method, passing in a URL of your choice, and pop() goes on to do it's window.open thing.

I'm not sure if it's best practise or whatever, but it certainly got me out of a few holes in the past.  You can also close that window from server-side code by issueing a <script>javascript:window.close()</script> literal on a button click or something.  This should work on popups but i think the browser will complain if you try and close the main window like this

glad to have been of assistance :¬)

Thursday, February 1, 2007 4:46 AM
  • User-1688778083 posted

Hoonius solution is correct. But you can do it even simpler, without server side code. You simply include in the next page the following HTML/Javascript code:

<html><head>
    <script>javascript:pop("someURL");</script>
    </head>
    </html>

This does preety much the same, but without server side code. If the nest url is not known in advance (you have to execute some server side logic to know it) you can do it like this:

<html><head>
    <script>javascript:pop("<%=GetNextUrl()%>");</script>
    </head>
    </html>

GetNextUrl() is some serve side mthod that returns a string with the next URL.

Hope this helps. 

Saturday, February 3, 2007 6:36 PM