locked
PerformancePoint Services Access Denied Issue RRS feed

  • Question

  • Ok, so I have been having issues with Performance Point service and I have been unable to pinpoint this access denied issue. Within our event viewer we are seeing the following events raised everytime I try to access dashboard designer at least 4-5 times:

    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-PerformancePoint Service
    Date:          1/26/2011 9:43:18 AM
    Event ID:      2
    Task Category: PerformancePoint Services
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:     
    User:          ------------
    Computer:      ----------
    Description:
    Failed to read the acls for an item. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-SharePoint Products-PerformancePoint Service" Guid="{A7CD5295-CBBA-4DCA-8B67-D5BE061B6FAE}" />
        <EventID>2</EventID>
        <Version>14</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>1</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-01-26T17:43:18.139200000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>79867</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{7F28011C-E0E6-4C14-8D25-1A952D5CA22E}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="10840" ThreadID="11708" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>----------------</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1715567821-1409082233-839522115-5347" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="string1">Failed to read the acls for an item. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

    So I use the correlation ID to check the ULS logs and all I get is the following:

    01/26/2011 08:22:09.92  w3wp.exe (0x1F98)                        0x2254 SharePoint Foundation          General                        8e2s Medium   Unknown SPRequest error occurred. More information: 0x80070005 0f7dd438-c6ec-4b00-8796-176ff87619fe
    01/26/2011 08:22:09.92  w3wp.exe (0x1F98)                        0x2254 PerformancePoint Service       PerformancePoint Services      ef8z Warning  Failed to read the acls for an item. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) 0f7dd438-c6ec-4b00-8796-176ff87619fe

    Ok so that wasn't much help so I went a step further to check the logging database to sharepoint to see the requests that had that correlation ID and found the request going to "/_vti_bin/pps/ppsauthoringservice.asmx" with an HTTP status of 200.

    I am confused as to the access denied because I am the farm admin and site collection admin of the site in question. I added myself to the list of contributors for the entire PP BI site that I created. I also checked the service accounts involved with the process and the unattended service account has access to the database, the service accounts have access to the PP Services. Anyone know of other things/places to check for solutions to this access denied warning?

    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:56 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi SP2010Famer,

     

    Thanks for your post.

    Here is another one’s solution for this issue:

    After configuring the Secure Store you need to go back to the Secure store page, select your PerformancePoint target application check box then click on Refresh Key. You will need to reenter your pass phrase then click OK.

    More information:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/601a4dec-b81b-4ebc-9ee9-8d127dfb9ef9/

    • Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:45 AM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:20 AM
  • I recently changed a SharePoint 2010 Web Application from Classic to Claims and PPS stopped working, showing the same error:

    Failed to read the acls for an item. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

    I found this thread and hit the Refresh Key button within the Secure Store, however this did not resolve the issue.  In the end i ran the following command:

    $w = Get-SPWebApplication –Identity http://webapplication
    $w.GrantAccessToProcessIdentity("DOMAIN\PPS_account")

    PerformancePoint is now working again!

    Monday, February 21, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Ian, thank you very much! Your solution worked for me as well! Your answer should be marked as answer.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:04 PM