none
Project server 2007 - custom columns - database table name RRS feed

• Question

• We have created couple of custom columns for issues, risks.  In which table these custom columns are stored? We need this information for our SSRS reports.
    Sanjeev
    • Edited by Sanjeev S K Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:12 PM changed name
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:45 PM

Answers

• It depends...  Project Server 2007 doesn't play nice with adding and removing columns from Risks and Issues.  Often the result can be that the tables you are referring to do not populate properly.  They are MSP_WSSIssue and MSP_WSSRisk located in the Reporting database.  If they are still functioning properly, your columns should be there.

If not, there is an excellent article called "How to report Projects Risks at the Program Level" on Christopher Fiessinger's Blog where there is exellent leads on how to pull this information directly from WSS in the content database.  I have found this article invaluable and have put various twists on it to suit my needs in combination with the SQL Reporting Pack provided for Project Server 2007.

Hope this helps,

Koren

www.wtiNETWORKS.com

Friday, October 29, 2010 1:44 AM

All replies

• We have created couple of custom columns for issues, risks.  In which table these custom columns are stored? We need this information for our SSRS reports.
    Sanjeev Kanajanavar

If they are in your project plans (enterprise custom fields) then just use the views in the reporting database. If they are sharepoint columns, then they are going to be in the content database. Microsoft does not support direct query of the content database and prefer that you do it though the API as there are things going on behind the scenes in the content database. But it is possible to set up a datasource using the content database and you can poke around and find things in it. I don't believe there is documentation.
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    • Marked as answer by Sanjeev S K Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:26 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sanjeev S K Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:14 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:24 PM
    Sanjeev Kanajanavar

If they are in your project plans (enterprise custom fields) then just use the views in the reporting database. If they are sharepoint columns, then they are going to be in the content database. Microsoft does not support direct query of the content database and prefer that you do it though the API as there are things going on behind the scenes in the content database. But it is possible to set up a datasource using the content database and you can poke around and find things in it. I don't believe there is documentation.
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter

Jack

Thank you. What is the name of the view in reporting database?

Sanjeev
    • Edited by Sanjeev S K Friday, June 17, 2011 9:41 PM ...
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:15 PM
  • It depends...  Project Server 2007 doesn't play nice with adding and removing columns from Risks and Issues.  Often the result can be that the tables you are referring to do not populate properly.  They are MSP_WSSIssue and MSP_WSSRisk located in the Reporting database.  If they are still functioning properly, your columns should be there.

If not, there is an excellent article called "How to report Projects Risks at the Program Level" on Christopher Fiessinger's Blog where there is exellent leads on how to pull this information directly from WSS in the content database.  I have found this article invaluable and have put various twists on it to suit my needs in combination with the SQL Reporting Pack provided for Project Server 2007.

Hope this helps,

Koren

www.wtiNETWORKS.com

Friday, October 29, 2010 1:44 AM