none
Unable to intstall Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm having a problem with installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86. It can download, but when it's in the install stage, it fails and gets an error code 80070057. I looked all over the web for an answer, but none of them seem to help. Oh, and I have Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 32-bit OS.

Also, is this update important for Vista Service Pack 2? I have never recieved an update for it. Everyone else I know that has Vista has gotten it already.

Would really appreciate the help.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Herolegend,

Thank you for your reply again.

The log files told me that the installation was blocked when it tried to install some update via WUSA.exe .

For WUSA.exe , it's Windows Update Stand-alone Installer. It uses the Windows Update Agent API to install update packages. We can find installation failure message in WindowsUpdate.log .
    For more information, please check: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934307

For System Update Readiness Tool I posted above, we can find that it might be able to resolve Windows Update installation errors of 0x80070057 (for decimal 87). However, it seems not to work on your issue. :(

Frankly speaking, I'm not familiar with Windows Update reparation on Vista. Sorry for that. However, I hope the following website can shed some light on this issue.
    Obtaining the latest version of the Windows Update Agent might help manage updates on a computer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104
    If it doesn't work, I would suggest you to try Windows Vista - Windows Update forum to solve this Windows Update issue since the error is caused by Windows Update.

Hope this can help you. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:42 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:02 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Herolegend,

Thank you for your post.

As far as I know, these updates are for .NET Framework 3.5 on your Vista. It's not for Vista SP2.

For error code "0x80070057", it means "The parameter is incorrect".

.NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) installs a set of known application compatibility issues with Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. So let's begin with .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

We can try the following steps for troubleshooting:

Step 1:
    I would suggest you to upgrade Windows Installer to the latest Version 4.5.

Step 2:
    Use Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework 2.0 SP1, 3.0 SP1 and 3.5. If .Net Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 on Windows Vista.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/07/03/8685850.aspx
    If .NET Framework 3.5 is not verified, please remove and reinstall it.

Step 3:
    Download and install .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package).

If you have any issue during the installation, could you please try to use collect tool to collect the log files of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from your "%temp%" folder?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

You can upload your log files to SkyDrive and post the link back here.

Steps:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder
    - Install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
    - Upload vslogs.cab file

Step 4:
    Run the Windows Update program (control panel > Security > check for updates)
    or
    Download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for Windows Vista x86, and Windows Server 2008 x86
    (After manually installing the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 package, you should immediately install the update Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update to address a set of known application compatibility issues.)

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Ok, I was able to go through step 1 and 2, but I'm having a problem with step 3. .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package) won't install, and the I don't really understand the collect tool. Would like help on this.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Hi Herolegend,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on your description, for step 2, both .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 can be verified successfully on your computer, right?

To apply Collect tool, please try the following instructions step by step:
    - Download .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package)
    - Download Collect tool from http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    - Run Collect Tool (Collect.exe) after the installation
    - Find the vslogs.cab file from "%temp%" folder
    - Upload vslogs.cab file to SkyDrive

Hope this can help you a lot. Look forward to your reply :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Sunday, October 11, 2009 10:19 AM
  • Thank you for the help, here's the link.

vslog.cab
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Hi Herolegend,

Thank you for your post.

Some clarification with you:
    Can both .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 be verified successfully on your computer?

I looked into the log files and found the following error snippet:

[10/11/09,17:35:00] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS): C:\Windows\system32\WUSA.exe exited with return value 87
    [10/11/09,17:35:01] InstallReturnValue: GFN_MID NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS), 0x57
    [10/11/09,17:35:01] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty
    [10/11/09,17:35:01] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty
    [10/11/09,17:35:01] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS): ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 87

For error code "87", it means "The parameter is incorrect". Third party service which is running in the computer might create the problem. Please do a clean boot and then install it again.

You can try System Update Readiness Tool here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821  before reinstalling .NET 3.5 sp1.

If the problem still exists, please follow the steps I posted above to collect the log file again for further troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

• Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:00 AM Bold
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:34 AM
  • Yes, .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 do verify on my computer. Sorry about not telling you earlier.

Clean boot and System Update Readiness Tool doesn't seem to help. So here's the updated vslog for you to continue the research.

vslogs.cab
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:43 PM
  • Hi Herolegend,

Thank you for your reply. :)

After more search on the Internet, I found another possible cause of Error code 87.
    It means that setup for the .NET Framework 3.5 is failing because it is being run from a path with spaces in it . You will need to move the extracted files to a folder name that does not contain any spaces and then re-run setup, and hopefully it will succeed after doing that.
    For more information, please see: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/05/03/2404770.aspx
    (Please check the reply of "Zantesu".)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:02 AM typo
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Moved the .NET Framework 3.5 setup file to another location and it still refuses to install...

But I just noticed somthing odd. After the update fails, in the setup window, it gives me the option to look at the error log, and here's what it says.

[10/12/09,21:11:24] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 87
    [10/12/09,21:11:43] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.
    [10/12/09,21:16:49] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 87
    [10/12/09,21:16:59] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.

From what I can see, it says that "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed". But that can't be it because in the Verification Tool, it verifies that I have it. Am I looking at this right? I think this might be a problem, but I need you to clarify on this first.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:41 AM
  • Hi Herolegend,

Thank you for your reply again.

The log files told me that the installation was blocked when it tried to install some update via WUSA.exe .

For WUSA.exe , it's Windows Update Stand-alone Installer. It uses the Windows Update Agent API to install update packages. We can find installation failure message in WindowsUpdate.log .
    For more information, please check: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934307

For System Update Readiness Tool I posted above, we can find that it might be able to resolve Windows Update installation errors of 0x80070057 (for decimal 87). However, it seems not to work on your issue. :(

Frankly speaking, I'm not familiar with Windows Update reparation on Vista. Sorry for that. However, I hope the following website can shed some light on this issue.
    Obtaining the latest version of the Windows Update Agent might help manage updates on a computer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104
    If it doesn't work, I would suggest you to try Windows Vista - Windows Update forum to solve this Windows Update issue since the error is caused by Windows Update.

Hope this can help you. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

• Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:42 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:02 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:12 AM