The underlying provider failed on Open connecting to SQL Azure DB RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Visual Studio 2010, .Net Framework 4, Entitiy Framework, and created cloud application with 1 web role and SQL backend. Database has been deployed to SQL Azure and firewall rules set to enable Windows Azure services, plus specifc IP address range for workstations in my office, plus the specific address of the deployed staging Azure application.

When I run the application deployed to Azure, I get "The underlying provider failed on Open" error. When I run the same solution from Visual Studio (either web role or cloud app) I have no problem accessing the same SQL Azure database. All the settings are the same and the only thing that comes to my mind is the SQL Azure server firewall settings, but that does not seem to be it.

To take that even further, I created the same database on the SQL Azure server I use for another application, updated the firewall setting to match the above and tried accessing it running my solution from VS (either web role or cloud app). I would expect them to work as in the above, but they failed with the same error.

It almost looks like the firewall settings do not take effect.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Jacek,

Did you add 0.0.0.0 ip access role to sqlazure firewall? By doing this, the sqlazure would be allowed to access by windows azure.

Besides, you may enable intellitrace to get more detail about the error. Or you can use RDP to connect to the cloud computer to gather any useful info.

Thanks,

Mog Liang
    • Marked as answer by Mog Liang Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:22 AM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:00 AM