Non-Production Environment Defintion RRS feed

• Question

• We are a software application development company and we develop java based application connecting SQL server as a back end DB. Which eventually gets deployed on customer site.  For development and testing we don't use any customer data.

The question is in such a case can we use the SQL Server express for out development and testing? Can you also provide your definition of non-production environment.

Thanks,

-Anand

Friday, September 12, 2014 5:21 AM

Answers

• We are a software application development company and we develop java based application connecting SQL server as a back end DB. Which eventually gets deployed on customer site.  For development and testing we don't use any customer data.

The question is in such a case can we use the SQL Server express for out development and testing? Can you also provide your definition of non-production environment.

Thanks,

-Anand

I think you may be confusing different SQL Editions.  SQL Express is a free edition may be used in production.  However, that edition has limitations on database size, hardware, and features.

SQL Server Developer edition is not free and is licensed only for development and testing.  That edition has all the features as Enterprise edition but cannot be used in production (e.g. your customer site or for production use at your company).

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Monday, September 15, 2014 12:48 PM
  • The question is in such a case can we use the SQL Server express for out development and testing? Can you also provide your definition of non-production environment.
    For this part of question, what is actual meaning of 'Non-production database' , you can also speak to licensing expert. Like for developer edition you can use it for development but cannot use it into prodcution. by non production here i guess it means you should not use it for commercial/monetory purpose like if you host your customer facing application and  put SQL server as backend and customer provides you money for this , in that case backend cannot be Developer editon. It is just one of my plausible definition correct would be given by licensing expert.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

Monday, September 15, 2014 1:18 PM

All replies

• Please see this article:

What is SAND BOX in SQL server?

Saeid Hasani [sqldevelop]

• Edited by Saeid Hasani Friday, September 12, 2014 5:55 AM change hyperlink
    Friday, September 12, 2014 5:53 AM
  • Hello,

SQL Server Express is a free edition of SQL Server ideal for developing and powering desktop, web and small server applications. Just for small application development and testing, of course, you can use SQL Server Express. But please note that there are some limited features in this edition.
    Read this link:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

About non-production environment, in my opinion, it is a test environment for enterprise busniess, but cannot be used for end customers.
    Monday, September 15, 2014 11:57 AM

Thanks,

-Anand

I think you may be confusing different SQL Editions.  SQL Express is a free edition may be used in production.  However, that edition has limitations on database size, hardware, and features.

SQL Server Developer edition is not free and is licensed only for development and testing.  That edition has all the features as Enterprise edition but cannot be used in production (e.g. your customer site or for production use at your company).

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Monday, September 15, 2014 12:48 PM
  • The question is in such a case can we use the SQL Server express for out development and testing? Can you also provide your definition of non-production environment.
    For this part of question, what is actual meaning of 'Non-production database' , you can also speak to licensing expert. Like for developer edition you can use it for development but cannot use it into prodcution. by non production here i guess it means you should not use it for commercial/monetory purpose like if you host your customer facing application and  put SQL server as backend and customer provides you money for this , in that case backend cannot be Developer editon. It is just one of my plausible definition correct would be given by licensing expert.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

Monday, September 15, 2014 1:18 PM