XML Schema validation error in network configuration. Missing DnsRef RRS feed

• Question

• When ever we try to make changes to a Virtual network we receive

XML Schema validation
    error in network configuration. Missing DnsRef

We can't make any changes to the Virtual network.

The DNS ref exists as well.

Considering exporting network config and re-importing however we have a lot of networks configured and want to be sure this is the correct way to proceed.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hi

Try to edit it in new portal.azure.com . It works for me.

Peter.

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clifford Keating Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:11 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 8:09 AM
  • Same with me. I got the error message with the old portal, but it works with the new portal.
    Monday, March 2, 2015 6:50 PM
  • After no help from support, today I logged on and everything ''magically' had sorted itself. 

Clearly a bug on the Azure platform.

To confirm we made no changes, and was able to modify DNS and create gateway on the problematic VN today. Sorry that I have no other feedback to help anyone out.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you make changes to the Azure Virtual network, via XML?

I recommend you to export your network configuration and check if any part is missing:

Export Virtual Network Settings to a Network Configuration File

In general, if you defined a DNS server to a  virtual network, it contains the part below:

<DnsServersRef>
              <DnsServerRef name="xxx />
      </DnsServersRef>

Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Susie Long Friday, February 20, 2015 8:44 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

We are having the same problem, so you are not alone.

I had an extensive call with Azure premium support and we where able to determine that:

- Nothing is missing or in the wrong place in my exported .xml file.

- Any changes to the VNET's using the web gui interface of https://manage.windowsazure.com is not possible when you have dns servers and use an gateway

- You can download the .xml configuration file of the network and make manual changes to it, then import it again , to add/remove dns servers and or subnet's. 

I am currently waiting for an solution,  i have let them lower the urgency from A to B (because i can make changes trough xml) and responded to the next support contact (saying he will continue with the issue) that the problems seems to be with azure and he should speak with the previous person helping me.  I have not heard from Azure support since.

SR Number:115021812414226
    Open on:02/18/2015 09:28

> There are networks with and without gateways created and the issue is happening on all the networks.
    > We are unable to add or remove the DNS servers. (by web gui)
    > Also not able to add or remove any subnets. (by web gui)
    > Every time the error message is same but the DNS server name is different. (from another subnet then the one we are changing)
    > Created CRI- 3405931, but they said it will need WATS team.
    > Confirmed with WATS engineer as well and moving case to WATS.
    > Cx agreed to lower the severity of the case as they are able to make changes through the network configuration file.
    > But they still want to get this resolved soon.
    > Agreed and dropped off, reducing severity to B 24/7.

I hope microsoft is going to resolve this soon, as i do not want to edit my xml for little things like adding a subnet all the time. I have requested an status update in the issue.

Should anyone have more information on this, please share it here.

Friday, February 20, 2015 2:18 PM
  • Hi

Try to edit it in new portal.azure.com . It works for me.

Peter.

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clifford Keating Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:11 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 8:09 AM
  • Same with me. I got the error message with the old portal, but it works with the new portal.
    Monday, March 2, 2015 6:50 PM
  • Hi all,

Thank you for your replies.

Can confirm that I am able to make changes to DNS in the new portal, however this doesn't help resolve connecting to local network / gateway (Which is the actual issue we are encountering the DNS error with).

Even after changing the DNS in the new portal and trying to connect to local network (Site to Site VPN) / we still receive the DNS error. 

Can't see anywhere within the new portal to create Site to Site VPNs so we are still stuck with this error.

We are about to log a professional support ticket as well, even though from what I can tell this is a bug due to changes being made by MS as we never used to have this issue and our network config is fine.

Will let you know how we get on.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

Anything updates now? If you have solved this issue, I would appreciate it if you can share your experience in the forum to helpful other forum members.

Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 9, 2015 5:11 AM
  • After no help from support, today I logged on and everything ''magically' had sorted itself. 

Clearly a bug on the Azure platform.

To confirm we made no changes, and was able to modify DNS and create gateway on the problematic VN today. Sorry that I have no other feedback to help anyone out.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:07 PM
  • Clicked answered before replying.  This is in response to Jonthan and Peter.  Whom had a partial workaround.

Confirmed that this is a workaround to modifying DNS, however didn't resolve the underlying VN issue as we still couldn't create Local Site to Site / Gateway.

Today logged on and the problem magically resolved itself after attempting to fix for the past few weeks.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:10 PM