none
Sql 2016 Developer on Win 10 pro - cant logon with mixed Win Auth

Question

• Just got a new Windows 10 pro machine to pick up and continue Ms platform development.
    I have a great Win 7 dev machine, Win 7 pro, IIS, SQL Server, Visual Studio (08, 10, 12), all running smooth as a MS dev/test/deployment workstation. It's time to move up to Win 10, so I've got a new clean box available...

Have Installed Win 10 Pro x64, IIS feature installed and works, now installed SqlServer 2016 developer version.
    SqlServer installed successfully(database engine, SSMS, SSIS, SSRS), I can log on to Mgmt Studio and run queries - But I can only log on via Sql Authorization  sa, but can't log on via WinAuthorization using my Win acct (which is a member of the Administrators group) - or even if I start SSMS as "Run as Administrator", Hummm... (bet i'm not the first to have this problem with Win 10).

So what do I have to do to get SQLServer & Mgmt studio work like( as smooth as)  Win 7 and Win Servers... 
    (Win 10 is a real pain per security and permissions!)   

Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:46 PM

All replies

• So you are connecting to a local instance on your new Win 10 box? Have you checked that you Windows user is actually present in sys.server_principals?

Or you are connecting to an SQL Server instance on a different machine? In such case, are in the same domain? Or do you have a workgroup?

Thursday, December 8, 2016 10:42 PM
  • Thanks for the reply...
    I have found a way to logon via Winauthorization with my Win Acct...
    At this point I am working all local (local machine, local acct, local sql server), soon it will have to be a member LAN, & Domain. 
    I'm a bit surprised I couldn't logon with my WinAcct Id, as my win acct is a member of the Administrators Group
    and  Machine/Domain Administrators ARE in sys.server.principals as sysadmin,  and it wouldn't let me in???
    I did eventually find a way in, so all's well for now...
    Win 10's strange, and a new Security model, and a problem child.... 
    I'd give ya the exact details of the setup I had to use, except I cant remote in to the new Win 10 pro right now. I have gotten the Win 10 box to be semi reliable. It was tested with RDP login and worked fine till about an hour ago. Power options are set Never Sleep! Yet it seams to have gone to sleep...( or maybe it just died)
    Oh Well, Nothin is easy with Win 10. For use in a full professional development environment the jury's still out. Later, Bob        

Thursday, December 15, 2016 6:07 PM
  • Hi KaBobLewis,

I’m sensing that the issue is you didn’t add your current windows login into SQL Server during the installation(by hitting ‘Add Current User’), Could you please verify that?

>>Win 10's strange, and a new Security model, and a problem child....

I don’t seem to recall any login-related issue specific to Windows 10 aside from this, could you please elaborate more?

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 8:11 AM