none
Leveraging BizTalk EDI : Suggestions Needed for identifying new EDI Interchanges in Food Supply Chain. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I have one functional question related to EDI and I beleive this is the best place to 
    put across this question as everyone of us are working on EDI implementation in different 
    business area.
    Here is the scenario : 

One food supply chain vendor has approached us to provide consulting as to How they can 
    leverage EDI in terms new messaging implementation. They are using BizTalk. Current system 
    has below EDI interchanges implemented.

1- EDI X12 204 (For Load Tender) - It sends the EDI 204 to its partner and receives EDI 997.

2- EDI X12 214 (For Shipment Status) - It receives 214 from its partner and sends EDI 990 
       and EDI 997 back to its partners.
    3- EDI X12 210 - (For Invoicing) - It receives EDI 210 from its partner.
    4- EDI X12 940 - (For Shipping Order) - With one its client it is receiving it over AS2.  

They currently interact with more than 80 partners for Shipping Status, Load tender, Invoicing 
    and with one partner for Shipping Order.

1- Can you suggest me what else they can implement. All the places where we can utilize BizTalk.
    It could be Tracking, Business Process Automation, Trading partner management,  Rules etc.
    If it is Tracking then please mention the scenario where can we implement this, if it is 
    Business Process then what are the scenarios where we can implement this, similarly for other stuff.

2- What are the new EDI Interchanges which we can suggest. such as Bill Of Lading.

3-If you can share any links and pointers to case studies as well as your own project experiences, that will be 
    grea help.

Best Regards, Vishnu
    Friday, July 2, 2010 5:14 AM

Answers

• 1.) Cannot discuss.

2.) Management/Information Worker

3.) Received large number of EDI / UN-EDIFACT documents from large number of sources. (millions)

4.) Based on a number of "rules", specific elements above or below a defined value, a score is assigned. Cannot discuss the details of how the score was generated.  See google for general definition http://www.google.com/search?q=risk+score&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

5.) Call out via web services to local copies of various specialized databases to verify/add additional information the messages.

6.) Metric/risk score allowed business to make decisions about a related group of message.  310, 315, 850, 856 and several others. BizTalk mostly some .Net code also. (85/15)

7. No.  Different document are received at different point in the overall process.  Together they create a overall begin to end view of the process and what it represents.

Thanks,

William

• Marked as answer by callvishnu Friday, July 9, 2010 1:03 PM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have architected solutions utilizing EDI solutions in BizTalk in several supply chain scenarios.  I have not specifically worked in the food supply chain arena.  In one solution, I used a unique identifier (contained in each document) to tie together several supply chain documents.  A combination of metrics contained within the various documents themselves, message enrichment (via webservices), and a set of "business rules" allowed the creation of a risk score for the entire set of document (or the shipment which they represent).

Thanks,

William

Friday, July 2, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Hi William, 

Thank you for sharing this information. In terms of EDI, I do not see much difference between supply chain and food supply chain. So all your suggestions could be valuable.

Could you please provide some more details containing the below details.

1- Business case for these implementations providing the justification.

2- Are these implementations aimed for End Users or Information Worker and Management.

3- Brief details about their working.

4- What is risk score ??

5- What kind of message enrichment you achieve and how the web services are involved ?

6- What was the purpose of the metrics which you have mentioned and how it helped the business, what all EDI documents were involved in this. Did you achieve it using BizTalk or .NET ??

7- You mentioned about the unique identifier for various document, were you displaying any flow of all these document. What was the reason to tie these document ??

Please bear with me as I am technically quite new to supply chain.  

Best Regards, Vishnu
    Friday, July 2, 2010 6:55 PM
  • 1.) Cannot discuss.

2.) Management/Information Worker

3.) Received large number of EDI / UN-EDIFACT documents from large number of sources. (millions)

4.) Based on a number of "rules", specific elements above or below a defined value, a score is assigned. Cannot discuss the details of how the score was generated.  See google for general definition http://www.google.com/search?q=risk+score&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

5.) Call out via web services to local copies of various specialized databases to verify/add additional information the messages.

6.) Metric/risk score allowed business to make decisions about a related group of message.  310, 315, 850, 856 and several others. BizTalk mostly some .Net code also. (85/15)

7. No.  Different document are received at different point in the overall process.  Together they create a overall begin to end view of the process and what it represents.

Thanks,

William

• Marked as answer by callvishnu Friday, July 9, 2010 1:03 PM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Thank you William for sharing this info.
    Best Regards, Vishnu
    Friday, July 9, 2010 1:03 PM