none
How often is account verification required when creating an app package?

Question

• I have been asked to verify my account frequently in the past few weeks.   I am wondering if there is something wrong - something wrong with my computer or someone hacking our account.  I am wondering how often this happens with other developers.

Hong

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:38 PM

All replies

• Visual Studio is just logging you into your store account there. It should be the same as when you log into the dev center directly.

I believe you can tell it to trust your current machine. Otherwise it will probably require new credentials whenever the session expires.

I discussed this with Jonathan and now that he knows where that comes from he can provide more information from the dev center side.

--Rob

Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:09 PM
  • Hi Hong,

After discussing this with Rob, I now better understand the issue you're experiencing. This is part of the two-step authentication for your Microsoft Account. You can read in detail about this process at the two-step authentication FAQ. To prevent this verification step from prompting you for this information, you should be able to add your computer/device as a trusted PC if you attempt to log into http://login.live.com with your developer account credentials. You would need to flag the box under the Code field to recognize your computer as a trusted device. Here is a screenshot of what you should see:

After completing this process, you should no longer be prompted to verify with a code. You can find more info about this at the Trusted Devices FAQ. Thanks for the post!

-Jonathan

Windows Store Developer Support

Office Store Developer Support

Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:56 PM
  • Thanks a lot for looking into this, Jonathan.

Unfortunately, I do not have the check box:

Hong

Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:09 PM
  • From your screenshot it doesn't look like you followed Jonathan's directions:
    you should be able to add your computer/device as a trusted PC if you attempt to log into http://login.live.com with your developer account credentials
    --Rob
    Friday, February 14, 2014 9:51 PM
  • Thanks, Rob, for continuing to help out with this.  It looks like that I misunderstood what Jonathan meant by adding a computer as a trusted PC.  I thought checking the check box was the way to do it.  Could you offer a tip on how to add a computer as a trusted PC. Jonathan's post did not explain how to do it. 

Hong

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:04 PM
  • I found some information about how to set up trusted devices.  Unfortunately, I cannot find "Edit security info" referred to in the instructions. 

Hong

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:11 PM
  • Finally figured out how to get check box "Sign in frequently on this device. Don't ask me for a code".  However, I am not sure this addresses the issue.

To get the check box in a browser (not VS) when signing into a Live account, one needs to enable Two-step verification. 

After I checked the check box, logged out, I do not need to provide a code when signing in with a browser.  However, I am still asked for a code by Visual Studio on the same computer.  Visual Studio does not have the check box.

There is not device listed in the "Trusted device" section of my account page.

Hong

Sunday, February 16, 2014 4:50 PM
  • Hey Hong,

If you have checked the box to trust your computer/device through your browser, then you should not be prompted to complete the two-step process in Visual Studio. I am curious if your browser is set to clear its cache/cookies. Do you know if the cache is being cleared in Internet Explorer on your computer?

-Jonathan

Friday, March 7, 2014 1:11 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

I have not deleted anything via the Internet Options dialog box for a while. Is there another place that I should look at?

Hong

Friday, March 7, 2014 1:23 AM
  • Hey Hong,

There is not another place to look at that I can think of unless your computer is possibly synced to another Live ID. You can find this on the Accounts page in PC Settings. Feel free to submit a support request if you would like me to look at this closer for you. You can either request me by name, or post your SR here.

-Jonathan

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:33 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

I was just about to post another message here because it seems to occur even more frequently than before.  I created a package in the morning after going through all the authentication procedures, then I was asked to go through the entire process again in the afternoon when I created another package.

I will submit a request tomorrow morning.  It is late night here.  Thanks a lot for your persistent help.

Hong

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:40 AM