none
Multiple OS Designs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have some questions related to platform builder.

I would like to have multiple OS Designs (if you want to call them that) of the same platform. So for the same ARM platform, I want to have builds for multiple languages. The problem comes in when i have to reselect catalog components and then sysgen in an OS Design. I'm thinking their has to be a cleaner, less error prone method of maintaining these in a separate configuration - maybe a separate OS Design file. I rather not create separate OS Designs for each language but if that's the only way then i guess I don't have a choice. How can this be done? If I have to create separate OS Designs, how best can I cleanly duplicate an OS Design. i.e is their a way platform builder can copy an OS Design?

Friday, September 10, 2010 3:22 PM

Answers

• Bruce, this is not ugly, it's nasty. That's a lot of subprojects and MB's of data, essentially duplicating folders. This would create a nightmare for me.

How about just copy and rename the .ncb, .sln & .suo files and the corresponding .pbxml & pbxml.user files? Will that work better?

• Marked as answer by SubTech Friday, December 3, 2010 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:08 PM

All replies

• The only way to have a common set of features in all of these copies of projects that I know of is to have a batch file that sets the appopriate variables.  It is ugly, but would ensue that the projects are the same except where they should be different.

To copy a project:

1. Copy the OSDesign folder (WINCE600\MyProj to WINCE600\MyProj2)
    2. Rename the OSDesign sub-folder (WINCE600\OSDesign\MyProj2\MyProj2)
    3. Rename the solution file and PBXML file
    4. Edit the solution file to change the instances of MyProj to MyProj2
    5. Edit the PBXML file to change the instances of MyProj to MyProj2

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Friday, September 10, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Bruce, this is not ugly, it's nasty. That's a lot of subprojects and MB's of data, essentially duplicating folders. This would create a nightmare for me.

How about just copy and rename the .ncb, .sln & .suo files and the corresponding .pbxml & pbxml.user files? Will that work better?

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Huh?  You lost me with MB's of data and a lot of subprojects.  What does that have to do with the instructions that I provided?

Oh, you want to have multiple projects within the same subtree...  Give it a try, but since the folder and the files need to be the same name, that will be a problem.

A good version control system will help.  Good ones will allow you to easily have one copy of the file in the repository, but check the files out to different folders.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    • Unmarked as answer by SubTech Friday, December 3, 2010 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:37 PM