locked
InfoPath Form and Data Not Visible on SharePoint 2007 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Here is what I have done so far...

    1.  I created a form in InfoPath that supervisors and Managers can fill out when they want to terminate employee access from various systems

    2.  I published the form to a Doc library creating a new library in the process and promoted 4 fields from the InfoPath form so that I could see them and thus retrieve the whole form if I needed to. 

    3.  I refreshed the Doc Lib and nothing was there, so I went back to the form and changed the submit option to SharePoint Doc Library and re-published the form. 

    4.  I went to the Sharepoint site, hit "New" and completed the form from the site and submitted using the new submit option.  Again, nothing was displayed.

    Funny thing is that I tried the same thing with the Expense Form Sample following the steps in the MS Video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwWrPELgV4) and still cannot see any of the data.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

    Monday, March 14, 2011 3:36 PM

Answers

  • I was trying to find the best way to word this, and I think Clayton Cobb said it best:

    "There are many ways to skin this cat, but the root of your problem was that you were recalculating the date/time stamp each time it was submitted. What you're supposed to do is set the filename once and then reference that filename in the submit data connection from that point forward. I do this by creating a filename data field in the form, setting it to a concatenated value using the now() function plus some other field in the form, and then I reference this filename field in my submit data connection. I also put in a condition on my submit button that sets the filename before submitting if the filename is blank but ignores that action and just submits if the filename is not blank. All of it is done without code."

    (from here:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointinfopath/thread/bdd1e048-49ee-40a7-af00-1998d6e8673d)  I hope that helps.

    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:37 PM
  • Thanks for your help.  I also found this link and it worked:  http://claytoncobb.wordpress.com/2009/06/20/auto-generating-filenames-for-infopath-forms/

    This is an issue that I have been dealing with for some time and I'm very grateful there folks like you are out there.  Again thanks.

    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:10 PM

All replies

  • Did you configure a secondary data connection to Submit the data to the SharePoint library?  Just publishing to the library won't configure the form to save to library.

    If this is the case, create your data connection to submit to this form library.  Then add that data connection to the submit actions.

    Monday, March 14, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Thanks Melli.  Here is what I did:

    1.  I created a data connection called Main Submit 2.  Pointed to my document library (http://sdmhdcspweb/IT_Users/ExpenseTest/Forms/), put the now() function in the FileName, and used defaults for the rest.

    2.  In the Submit Options I have the form going to a SharePoint Data Library using the Main Submit 2 as the data connection.

    3.  Since I was using the sample Expense Form that came with InfoPath I did remove the email submit option and have only the submission to the doc library in play.

    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:24 PM
  • You don't actually need the "Form/" part in the url.  Try removing that (so it should be:  http://zdmhdcspweb/IT_Users/ExpenseTest/  )
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:35 PM
  • thanks.  It appears to be working now to a point.  I can now see the promoted fields however is there a way when a form is modified to allow the updates to occur without creating a new instance of the form (but show the updates).  I tried the Overwrite form data but that does not work I think because I am using the now() function as the form title.  there probably is a simple trick to this but I don't see it....Again thanks.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:32 PM
  • I was trying to find the best way to word this, and I think Clayton Cobb said it best:

    "There are many ways to skin this cat, but the root of your problem was that you were recalculating the date/time stamp each time it was submitted. What you're supposed to do is set the filename once and then reference that filename in the submit data connection from that point forward. I do this by creating a filename data field in the form, setting it to a concatenated value using the now() function plus some other field in the form, and then I reference this filename field in my submit data connection. I also put in a condition on my submit button that sets the filename before submitting if the filename is blank but ignores that action and just submits if the filename is not blank. All of it is done without code."

    (from here:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointinfopath/thread/bdd1e048-49ee-40a7-af00-1998d6e8673d)  I hope that helps.

    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:37 PM
  • Thanks for your help.  I also found this link and it worked:  http://claytoncobb.wordpress.com/2009/06/20/auto-generating-filenames-for-infopath-forms/

    This is an issue that I have been dealing with for some time and I'm very grateful there folks like you are out there.  Again thanks.

    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:10 PM
  • I'm glad I could help.  Happy InfoPath-ing  :)

    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:30 PM
  • THANKS. This was a huge help!

    Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:53 PM