Transferring input from one page to another RRS feed

• Question

• Being in software development as an analyst, UML architect, project lead, etc, and having to do requirements, documentation, and prototypes the "old fashioned way" for many years I see the value of Expression, especially the prototyping of Blend+ Sketchflow.  I have been looking at other prototyping software and have dowloaded several different trials doing research to include Axure, Irise, etc.

I have developed a small test project for a bank in Sketchflow, but the binding data functionality and the ability to transfer text or data from one page to another seems to be escaping me.  Even something simple like on an initial login page have user input their name, then on the page 2, the welcome screen, display the inputed name with a "Welcome to Peoples Bank  (insert username here) !  "

Is there another training video that I have missed or another thread out there that explains things like this?  In Irise it seems to be very simple, by using a clipboard and visually seeing a line from the textbox to the clipboad, to the location you want it on the next page.

I am not seeing this simplicity, or am missing it somewhere.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:15 PM

All replies

• My blog decribed how to transfer data (selected index of a list) from one page to another page. This would give you a head start on how to work on that, just replace the selected index with your input string:

In brief, use DataStore feature of Blend:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/harryh/archive/2010/06/23/databind-selected-items-across-different-pages.aspx

Please let me know if you have further question.

Thanks, Harry [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by Harry.MSFT Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:09 PM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Giving it a try, but with my background and current skill set, when you start modifying in XAML you are getting my skill level at this time  :)

However, I did create a data store called UserName, made it string, and deleted contents so it was empty, and dragged it from the data panel/window on the right onto the text box on both the login page and welcom page, and that seemed to work as well.  But I didn't have much control over the visual aspects of the second textbox to get it to look like plain text with out the border and fill color, etc.

When I view the XAML for the box, other than the dimensions, it created this from those actions:

Text="{Binding UserName, Mode=TwoWay}

Once a data grid is constructed, is their a way to call on certain values in order to calculate totals or other query like operations?

Thursday, February 3, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback. As you found out, you don't need to modify XAML in your project. My blog was describing a complex object data, which I modified the XAML to access sub-properties. Blend also has feature that generate such XAML by draging data on UI, I didn't describe it in that blog title to remain focus. In your case, you are passing string, which is simple data, you don't need to modify the XAML that Blend generated for you.

I don't understand your question "But I didn't have much control over the visual aspects of the second textbox". From Properties panel, You can set BorderBush to "No brush", and set Background to any color as you want. Textbox is for accecpting user input, if you want text displaying only, you can use TextBlock instead of TextBox, which contain no border. All these are just basic steps of seting different properties of the control, you can simply find it on Blend Help -> User Guide document.

Your last question about calculating totals on certain values, it reqires some coding skill. There multiple ways to achieve that. One way is that doing such operations in code-behide and assign to a local property data, then on the UI add a Label or textblock binding to that data.

Thanks, Harry [MSFT]
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:58 PM
  • Thanks Harry,

Is there an example somewhere that explans  " Your last question about calculating totals on certain values, it reqires some coding skill. There multiple ways to achieve that. One way is that doing such operations in code-behide and assign to a local property data, then on the UI add a Label or textblock binding to that data."

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:38 PM