none
How do I import missing/extra C# Template e.g. C# LibraryDLL into VS2015?

Question

• I've opened VS2015 and there are no C# Desktop templates (where I presume C# Library DLLs would be). I've DL-ed VS2010 samples but cannot see how to get VS2015 to know about them.

How do I create a C# Library DLL project? (I have been doing this for over 10 years on other computers, but not this one with VS2015 installed)

PS All I seem to have are Business Intelligence projects

Regards Brewmanz

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:01 AM

All replies

• Seems that you do not have the required components and probably need to install Visual Studio 2015. The Community edition is able to build Class Libraries and desktop applications in C#: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48146. But you can also install the recent version — which is Visual Studio 2017 — specifying “.NET desktop development” during installation.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 5:27 AM
  • Hi Bryan,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Did you choose the Default or Custom installation when you install the VS 2015? The default installation includes C#/VB, Web and Desktop features, if you successfully installed the VS 2015 without any errors, when you try to create a new project, the windows should display like the following screenshot:

Please have a try with the following:

1. Please go to Control Panel-Programs and Features, right click the VS 2015 and choose Change-Repair to repair it, then open VS to check it.

2. Re-install the VS project templates as below, restart VS to check the template type.

• Please go to the VS 2015 installation location, usually locates C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE
    • Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder
    • Run Developer Command Prompt for VS 2015 as administrator and type the command devenv /InstallVSTemplates: 
    • Run the command devenv /Setup  

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:49 AM