none
Windows 10 IoT, can't add references to projects

Question

• I am using Visual Studio 2015, version 14.0.25123.00 Update 2, and Windows 10.

I'm going through the project on this page:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/win10/WRA.htm#new-project

Develop with Windows Remote Arduino

I add the three projects to the solution:

Microsoft.Maker.Firmata.vcxproj

Microsoft.Maker.RemoteWiring.vcxproj

Microsoft.Maker.Serial.vcxproj

But when I try to add a reference to the projects, they don't show up in the Reference Manager under Projects/Solution

I can Browse to them, and add them to the Browse/Recent list, but then they don't get added as a reference, I get an error message saying they can't be added.

Any ideas why this isn't working?

Thanks

TonyScarpelli

Sunday, June 19, 2016 4:15 PM

Answers

• Thanks much for your help.

Finally got the program to work.

Most of the problems was that I didn't read the instructions carefully enough and in the right sequence.

Thanks.again.

TonyScarpelli

• Marked as answer by TonyScarpelli Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:13 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi TonyScarpelli,

Before you try add them to the original project through the Add References, please building your solution to check whether this problem caused by the un-build projects.

>> I get an error message saying they can't be added.

Could you share the detailed error message which can help us understanding why they can't be added into your projects?

According to your description, I download the Windows Remote Arduino projects to local and then add them to my UWP app solution. When I try to add them, they are listed in Projects/Solution and I can add them successful. I'm using Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 with Update 2.

Please share you detailed operation steps, including whether you stored the Windows Remote Arduino projects. I will try again based on your steps.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:57 AM
  • I've built the project with no errors and still can't add a reference.

I've included pictures so you can see the process.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

TonyScarpelli

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:33 PM
  • Hi TonyScarpelli,

According to your first screenshot, you should choose the Option 1 in that referenced document in your original post. The Option 1 just need to install the Windows Remote Arduino NuGet package for your project, which doesn't need to reference the projects.

Please read the last sentence that mentioned "Once you're done with this section, skip to the Device Capabilities section to finish setting up the application". So please go to the Device Capabilities section directly.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 1:23 AM
  • When I open up Capabilities, there is no place to enter the code as seen in the https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/win10/WRA.htm#new-project link.

When I open the Capabilities section this is what I see. I can't enter the code, and there is no USB available.

How can I add USB in the Capabilities section? Thanks.

TonyScarpelli

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:34 PM
  • Hi TonyScarpelli,

According to your screenshot, you open the Package.appxmanifest file with double-click. Please open it through Right-Click this file -> choose View Code to open it in XML editor.

Then please find the <Capabilities> tag and insert the relevant code snippets from the "Enabling Bluetooth Capabilities", "Enabling Network Capabilities", and "Enabling USB Capabilities" subsections. The USB section, please refer to the content which I quote in below screenshot from the document.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by TonyScarpelli Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TonyScarpelli Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:09 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:23 AM
  • Thanks much for your help.

Finally got the program to work.

Most of the problems was that I didn't read the instructions carefully enough and in the right sequence.

Thanks.again.

TonyScarpelli

• Marked as answer by TonyScarpelli Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:13 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:13 PM