MRDS 2008 only allows strong-named assemblies? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our robotics application uses a third-party library (.DLL) for some specific purposes. Correctly added reference to the library in Robotics Developer Studio 2008 July CTP, but when compiling, compiler gave us an error telling that the assembly named "xxxx" is not a strong-named assembly.

Must I oblige this third-party company to sign the assembly?

Means this that all assemblies used by MRDS 2008 must be signed? I do not agree this approach at all...

Could we sign this assembly ourselves so that we can compile and run the application? Or is there another workaround to avoid having to sign all assemblies?

Thanks very much in advance.

Miguel
    Blog: http://lonifasiko.blogspot.com
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:32 PM
  • Thanks for the reference Bryan :-)

All commercial software should in theory be strongly-named. It helps to protect intellectual property rights and it also helps to prevent malicious software from hijacking the assemblies. However, having said that, a lot of vendors do not sign their code.

In our case, we have another imperative which is security. As you know, DSS can operate across nodes in a network. If one of those nodes was compromised then it could have severe implications. Although signing can be a nuisance, it is necessary to enhance the security.

Trevor

Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Thanks both Bryan and Trevor for confirming this point.

I'm not very happy with this assembly signing requirement, but sure my third party vendor will be even less happier. Although I more or less understand the reasons you expose, it's really hard to oblige a third party sign all their assemblies.

Nevertheless, I'm afraid we'll have to do that :-(, don't like at all the idea of loading assemblies at runtime.

Thanks again.

Miguel
    Blog: http://lonifasiko.blogspot.com

Monday, September 15, 2008 7:37 AM