How to create specific folder structure from VSTemplate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I'm working on creating a custom template for VS Solutions.  I'm able to create the folder structure I want inside Visual Studio's Solution Explorer via the <SolutionFolder> tag in my VSTemplate file.  The physical folder structure itself isn't created the in a similar fashion.  Is there a way to have both the Solution Explorer and Windows Explorer structure created in the same way?

Tks

Steven

Monday, July 21, 2014 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

I am moving your thread into the Visual Studio Integrate Forum for dedicated support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

>>The physical folder structure itself isn't created the in a similar fashion.

Could you please clarify the physical folder structure? According to your second sentence, we see you can create the folder structure in the Solution Explorer. I guess the physical folder structure means the Windows Explorer structure.

Could you please tell us how you create the folder structure in VS's solution explorer? Do you create a project template?

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:50 AM
  • Yes, your assumption is correct - I'm trying to get the Windows Explorer structure the same as the VS Solution Explorer structure.

I'm using a project template of type ProjectGroup as I want to have a multi project solution template.  This is the ProjectCollection structure I'm trying to create as Windows Explorer structure:

<ProjectCollection>
    			<SolutionFolder Name="Docs"></SolutionFolder>
    			<SolutionFolder Name="Database">
    			<ProjectTemplateLink ProjectName="$safeprojectname$.Database">
    				CoW.WebApps.DatabaseTemplate\MyTemplate.vstemplate
    			</ProjectTemplateLink>
    			</SolutionFolder>
    			<SolutionFolder Name="SourceCode">
    				<ProjectTemplateLink ProjectName="$safeprojectname$.MVCProject">
    					CoW.WebApps.MVCProjectTemplate\MyTemplate.vstemplate
    				</ProjectTemplateLink>
    				<ProjectTemplateLink ProjectName="$safeprojectname$.Documentation">
    					CoW.WebApps.DocumentationTemplate\MyTemplate.vstemplate
    				</ProjectTemplateLink>
    			</SolutionFolder>
    			<SolutionFolder Name="UnitTests">
    			<ProjectTemplateLink ProjectName="$safeprojectname$.UnitTests">
    				CoW.WebApps.MVCProjectTemplate.Tests\MyTemplate.vstemplate
    			</ProjectTemplateLink>
    			</SolutionFolder>
    		</ProjectCollection>

Tks

Steven

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:05 PM
  • Hello Steven,

I am also trying to create the folder structure using the VS template..

Did you find any solution ?

Thanks & Regards

Raman Kant Gaur

Monday, July 9, 2018 9:26 AM