Storage Explorer for Linux - Installation Instructions missing RRS feed

• Question

• I have the Azure Storage Explorer working on a Windows box. I downloaded the Linux version to my Linux Mint workstation but there are no installation instructions either on the web site or in a readme file in the download.

Please advise.

Friday, September 23, 2016 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

We are checking on the query and would get back to you soon on this.

I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your time and patience in this matter.

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Saturday, September 24, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Your guy on Twitter said I should be able to install the 32 bit version on my 64 bit machine. (why don't you have a 64bit Linux version, I mean, who runs 32 bit anything today?). Anyway, clicking on the "StorageExplorer" file (as a guess as there aren't any installation instructions!) A Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer Window opens up immediately followed by a modal dialogue:-

An unexpected error happened:

Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by /home/craig/Downloads/AzureExplorer/resources/app/node_modules/keytar/build/Release/keytar.node)
        at Error (native)
        at Object.module.(anonymous function) (ATOM_SHELL_ASAR.js:137:20)
        at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as .node] (ATOM_SHELL_ASAR.js:137:20)
        at Module.load (module.js:355:32)
        at Function.Module._load (module.js:310:12)
        at Module.require (module.js:365:17)
        at require (module.js:384:17)
        at Object.<anonymous> (/home/craig/Downloads/AzureExplorer/resources/app/node_modules/keytar/lib/keytar.js:4:12)
        at Object.<anonymous> (/home/craig/Downloads/AzureExplorer/resources/app/node_modules/keytar/lib/keytar.js:58:4)
        at Module._compile (module.js:434:26)

Does this give any clue as to what is wrong?

Thanks.

Craig

Monday, October 3, 2016 10:13 PM
  • Thanks Craig for posting the detailed error message. This is a known issue for Linux installation. You might want to update the gcc version on your Linux system. Please follow below steps to update:

• sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
    • sudo apt-get update
    • sudo apt-get upgrade
    • sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

You can also find out this detail on our home page known issues section: http://storageexplorer.com/

Let me know if this doesn't fix your issue.

Thanks

Nishant

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:18 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:27 AM
  • Were you able to install after upgrading the gcc version ?
    Friday, October 7, 2016 6:52 PM
  • Hi Nishant! I had the same problem installing and followed your advise to run

• sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
    • sudo apt-get update
    • sudo apt-get upgrade
    • sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

(which is actually on the read.me file of Software Explorer).

Unfortunately wasn't luck running it. Now I get a generic error message saying "A problem caused Storage Explorer to stop working correctly. Storage Explorer can check for a solution and try to restart the program."

Can you help me?

Regards

Felipe

Monday, November 28, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Felip,

Are you running Storage Explorer on Ubuntu 14 machine ? If so then only you should get this error. We don't support ubuntu 14. Try running on ubuntu 16 machine

Also you don't need to update gcc version on ubuntu 16

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:49 PM
  • 18 months on and there are still no installation instructions with this. We're expected to mind read when they don't supply either a .deb file (which would install immediately) nor something obvious like an install.sh file.  No wonder some of us use Linux desktops. At least we don't get all the hassle our Windows colleagues do.  However, when we do have to touch Microsoft, it's the same old mess we remember when we left, years ago.

Please add a installation instructions as they ARE NEEDED. I mean, how hard can it be to add a paragraph to the web page?

Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:25 PM