SBS 2010 & Windows 8

Question

• I'm in an SBS world. I have a Windows 2008 R2 server which functions as my Hyper-V host for a number of VMs. I created a VM to run the Developers Preview of W8 without any problem - as a workstation,

Everything seemed to work, including RDC after I enabled Remote Settings. I then decided to be a good SBS citizen and join it to my domain. That worked - except I was told that this OS was not one that SBS recognized - que una sorpresa!

After about 8 restarts, when the VM boots up, I am presented with a blank screen.

Are there any Wasteland Adventurerors out there who have experienced this and have found a way to get past it?

Tom Mason

Tomás Mason
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:03 AM

All replies

• I have not experienced this problem, but would like to see if we can help out.  Do you have any indication of how far the VM has progressed in booting, or if networking is active for the Windows Developer Preview virtual machine?  Does the Hyper-V Manager UI show any CPU usage for the VM?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Patrick,

The machine boots up and displays the ctrl-alt-del screen for logging on. I log on with my domain ID, see a Welcome message for a while, and then the screen goes blank green.

Hyper-V Manager says 0% CPU usage. However if I ctrl-alt-del and start Task Manager, it shows a lot of activity - 10-20% CPU, 0.4Gb memory, 32 processes - so the machine is not dead, but in some other state.

Tom

Tomás Mason
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Thanks for the info!  It sounds like the VM is still running.  Next, can you check if it responds to the Windows key?

In the Virtual Machine Connection dialog (or Remote Desktop Connection) for the VM, go to View -> Full Screen Mode.

Once it is in full screen mode, try pressing the left Windows key on the keyboard.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Patrick,

In full screen mode, there is no response to the Windows key. Task Manager Performance shows the VM just clicking along. App History has a long list of W8 apps, but selecting one and clicking Switch To results in nothing.

Tom

Tomás Mason
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:31 PM