Clone an image using sysprep,imagex RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

According to an answer in this forum cloning an EWF image is done like this:

* Disable EWF and HORM
    * sysprep.exe /generalize /shutdown /oobe (oobe is default even if don't specify anything)
    * imagex /capture
    * imagex /apply
    * Enable
    EWF and HORM again

1. Should I run sysprep,imagex under Windows PE after I fully installed Windows 7 ?

2. The disk in the target system is not identical to the source. For example: The source can be 3.9GB (divided to 2 partitions) and the target is 3.8. Will the clone work ?

Thanks,

Zvika

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:38 PM

All replies

• 1) imho there is no need to run sysprep again. i don't see any reason at all.

2) will work, yes.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany

• Edited by KNARZ Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:08 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Wrong!!!! You need to run sysprep for proper cloning - not just for the SID. RAM overlay is one and the other is moving an image to a different drive type causes problems if you don't run sysprep. These issues has been reported before.

1. Yes, run sysprep under WinPE after you have fully configued the WES7 image. EWF must be disabled. You can add an unattaned file to the sysprep command line to address OOBE information for each clone.

2. If EWF is in set in RAM mode, sysprep removes the overlay parition and recreates it during when the clone boots the first. If RAM-REG mode, then it is not an issue. You can have the sysprep unattend file re-enable EWF automatically in PASS7 OOBE, but you will need to re-boot.

-Sean 

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Sean you mean that way?

* Disable EWF and HORM
    * sysprep.exe /generalize /shutdown /oobe (oobe is default even if don't specify anything)
    * imagex /capture
    * imagex /apply
    * sysprep (again, because of ewf and moving partition)
    * Enable EWF and HORM again

btw:
    i really guess that sysprep does nothing more to ewf as running: "ewfcfg.exe /install-configuration"

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:51 PM
  • No. The book I wrote covers this topic. Microsoft's presentation say the same thing.

1. Install the OS and perform final configuration - EDIT: EWF Must be disabled
    2. sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:<path>\unattend.xml <- can be used to enable EWF
    3. imagex /capture
    4. imagex /apply

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:17 AM
  • than i understood the original thread wrong. i thought this where additional to his discribed routine.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:20 AM