none
WDK versions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have a KMDF 1.09 driver that developed with WDK 7.1. The main reason is that our driver must be compatible for Windows XP. We need to WHQL the driver for all Windows OS starting with XP, and all the way to Windows 10 insider preview build 10047.

The driver package includes WdfCoInstaller01009.dll. Here are my questions:

1/ I believe that I MUST stay with WDK 7.1, as long as I continue to support Windows XP. Is this correct? So, the decision of moving up in the WDK version depends on the lowest Windows OS the driver must support, correct? 

Here is the link to KMDF library versions and the corresponding WDK versions:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff544309%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

For example, if I move from WDK 7.1 to WDK 8.1. The driver must drop support for all windows OS that is earlier than Windows 8.1 (according to the link above). Correct? If not, please point out.

2/ Target OS is backward compatible as long as WdfCoInstallerxxxx.dll is included and installed as part of driver install. For example: My KMDF driver include WdfCoInstaller01009.dll, and it is installed on Windows 10, insider preview, build 10074. The target OS includes Wdf01000.sys. This driver implements the latest changes in KMDF framework upto version 1.15, but is backward compatible to earlier version. Specifically 1.09 framework that my driver is built for.

3/ If the above are correct up to this point. What version of WHQL test kit do I need to use. Up to this point, we are testing with HCK 2.1. Do we require to move our testing to the new HLK? If so, will the HLK compatible to KMDF 1.9 driver?

thanks,

Kiet

KAL

Monday, May 18, 2015 7:55 PM

All replies

• I run into the below link, supporting matrix for different WHQL testing kit:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/dn386003.aspx

The date is a little old. Is there an update version of this that include HLK and Windows 10 support?

thanks,

Kiet

KAL

Monday, May 18, 2015 8:06 PM
  • One more question which may or may relate to this topic. When do I need to have the "Extended Validation" Verisign certificate?

The information that I read is that I need to have EV certificate for Kernel driver signing. If so, when does this become effective? The last time that did a kernel driver submission (3/27/2015), I was using the standard code signing Verisign certificate, not EV.

thanks,

Kiet

KAL

Monday, May 18, 2015 8:13 PM
  • 1 yes

2 yes, the coinstaller is what makes the downlevel story work. The current version of KMDF in the current OS supports older clients

3 moving your question to the hck forum for a getter answer

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 18, 2015 8:36 PM