Why is my cloud so slow in downloading files? RRS feed

• Question

• We have developed a test application with Azure in order to test the file transfer among our different offices across the world.

Our requirement is that users can not get the uploaded files directly by downloading them through URL, but rather they need to login before visiting. At present, my application has been deployed onto the East Asia nodes.

The tested uploading and downloading speed are fast in China, yet it's slow in Istanbul. How can I improve the uploading and downloading speed in the world wide?

Technical key points :

1、The files are stored in private Blobs.

2、The currently used Blobs Storage has enabled CDN.

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:46 AM

Answers

• The CDN is for downloading public blobs only, so you can't use it for private blobs (or for uploading).

You could consider making a copy of your data and storing it in a closer data center (and directing users to that data center).

Friday, December 10, 2010 8:41 AM

All replies

• I'm a bit confused... CDN doesn't support private blobs.  So you're accessing blob storage directly?  If so, it makes sense that the latency is higher when you're accessing a data center in another part of the world.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Yes, I accessed a Blob directly, for according to the requirements, we can not store data to Public Blobs.
    If so, is it possible for us to use the CDN of Microsoft? Is there any other method to raise the speed to upload and download in other parts of the world?
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:03 AM
  • The CDN is for downloading public blobs only, so you can't use it for private blobs (or for uploading).

You could consider making a copy of your data and storing it in a closer data center (and directing users to that data center).

Friday, December 10, 2010 8:41 AM
  • Shall I do the data copy by hand? Is it possible to do it automatically?

Our data is updated frequently, and is supposed to be  uploaded and downloaded at any time.

Friday, December 10, 2010 8:50 AM
  • There's no automated way to do this.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 9:04 AM