MySQL Connector RRS feed

• Question

• User-1420361370 posted
    I manage to install IIS 7, with Classic ASP and PHP, both are working fine. I have an app in Classic ASP with an ACCESS DB works great. I installed MySQL seems to be working. I installed myPHPAdmin, sees my DB's I can manage then, no problem. I have an app in Classic ASP that uses a MySQL DB, it does not sees the DB. MyPHPAdmin sees and manages the DB. What is missing? Can anyone explain (in simple words) what I have to do... Thanks
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:04 AM

All replies

• User-1420361370 posted
    The error from the ASP app is: Error Number >> -2147467259 Error Source >> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers Error Description [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:37 AM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

You need at least one of the Connectors provided by MySQL at the Oracle site.

If your using Windows 7 amd X64 download the ODBC connector Windows Installer and install the connector.

if your using Windows 7 intel X86 download the ODBC connector Windows installer and install the connector.

The MySQL Driver will be part of the ODBC Manager and will appear like all the other drivers.

Special for Windows 7 and amd X64 systems: 

Make a short cut to the syswow64 ODBC X64 Manager you then will have access to the MySQL driver.

The operation of the MySQL driver follows the Microsoft standard pattern of Server User Password and database to use.

If you would like to use Visual Studio 2008 Visual Studio 2010 to program ADO type or ASP.NET database connections

download the MySQL Net Connector.

During  the Install of MySQL Net connector select the options to provide the type of data access and integration.

After the install has completed you will find in IIS Server a new local server web.config  for MySQL with empty

string that you can use in Web Sites. If you have integrated MySQL Connector for Visual Studio 2008 Visual Studio 2010

you need to open the Tool Box and add the MySQL items for Adapter,Datasource and Command String Builder.

If you start with the included samples you can create a Database Manager for MySQL to access databases

for local or remote use.

If your need includes JDBC connection you can get the MySQL connector for Java that works with

Eclipse or other Java Access.

The download from MySQL for Java is offered as an archive either "Windows" zip or "Linux" gz of the jar plugin.

You need to copy the plugin to the install folder for Eclipse plugin and Features sections. Then using Eclipse select the

reference to MySQL Driver and fill in the Connection information for Server Port, Server and User with Password.

The various MySQL Connectors have good documentation for different types of Servers and Methods.

In all cases for MySQL Connector the starting point is the download center at MySQL and the connector section.

General Disclaimer: The MySQL products are not part of Microsoft Product Support or Suggested Solutions.

Martin

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:05 AM
  • User-1420361370 posted
    Thanks 4 ur long answer, but...
    ODBC Manager
    What is it & where is this located?
    Make a short cut to the syswow64 ODBC X64 Manager
    ???? This, simply, I don't understand...
    Visual Studio 2008/2010
    seems to be TOO complicated for me. Do u know where I can get something like "IIS for Dummies"?
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:23 AM
  • User-1672167363 posted

The ODBC Manager is located in the Administrator Tools.

The existing ODBC Manager does not show all the Drivers and DSN for Windows 7 amd X64 versions.

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/23/building-and-running-aspnet-applications/ More information ASP.NET and IIS Server.

A  change the properties of the shortcut and ODBC (X64) then

using the  short cut to the syswow64 folder for the ODBCD Manager

program located at c:\windows\SysWow64\odbcad32.exe

Visual Studio 2008 or Visual 2010 can be used to develop programs using the MySQL Connector for .Net.

Martin

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:41 PM
  • User-1420361370 posted
    I found the ODBC Manager I also created the shortcut (I did not knew about "syswow64" dir, wow!)... Using ODBC Manager I created a "System DSN", now I will have to figure out how to use it in ASP. My original app does not use a DSN, just a Connection String. Thanks
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:11 PM
  • User-1420361370 posted
    Up & running!
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:56 AM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Glad you are running.

Which MySQL Connector did you install?

Did you install the MySQL Net connector?

Martin

Friday, June 17, 2011 5:22 AM
  • User-1420361370 posted
    I am using "MySQL Connector/ODBC 5.1". My online web host is using "MySQL Connector/ODBC 3.51" after changing the connection string everything was working! I am setting up a running backup of my online service, they are running Windows 2003 & IIS6, I am using Windows 7 & IIS7. I will try to use "MySQL Connector/ODBC 3.51" to be fully compatible, I don't if I can... I did not tried anything with "dotnet" this is very obscure technology from my point of view. I started building websites using FrontPage, then when it was deprecated I tried to learn "dotnet", but I found it way too complex, ASP is much more simple. I have found many programmers going back to ASP Classic... I already downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2008/2010 and later I removed. I also tried WebMatrix. Normally I use MS Expression, but I never found a GOOD replacement of FrontPage. It was simple for anyone, just like using Word. You don't have to be a programmer to use it. Thanks for your help!
    Friday, June 17, 2011 6:03 AM
  • User-1672167363 posted

The Topic "MySql Connector" the Providers in the MySQL .net with IIS Server and programming.

The Connector .net helps woth the DSN source and web.config configuration.

update this thread.

Happy coding :D> 

Martin

Friday, June 17, 2011 7:40 AM