none
EDI Reporting again RRS feed

• Question

• I posted a question about EDI reporting before and received some suggestions.  I have been working on this for a while now and I can’t seem to come up with a solution to my problem.

I need the ability to track the following from out bound invoices (810), invoice number (BIG02), invoice date (BIG01) and acknowledgement status (997).  I have tried promoting properties (distinguished and with property schemas) with no success.  When I reached the conclusion that the EDI pipeline on my send port will not promote properties I decided to try and create a custom pipeline component to promote my properties.  This failed as my custom pipeline needs to use the EDI assembler which I found out does not promote any of the message context properties associated with an EDI message (ISA segment, GS Segment, etc..) and does not give me a message that I could use XPATH queries to get my required values.

I need similar tracking for outbound 850 and 860’s and I can get everything I need because the EDI dis-assembler I use in my custom outbound pipeline promotes all the EDI message context properties and allows me to do XPATH queries.

If anyone has a possible solution or something to try I would appreciate it greatly.  But for now I have to believe that the above EDI invoice tracking scenario is impossible in BizTalk 2006 R2.

Thanks

Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:29 PM

Answers

• I have nothing against using a custom pipeline component. Did you just trying to promote the property in the custom EDI schema and then set the value in an orchestration? This is a little easier than the custom pipeline component approach.

Thanks,
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Friday, November 6, 2009 4:04 AM

All replies

• So when you tried promoting the properties, was the problem with the tracking not working or that the solution would not work with the promoted properties or some other problem?

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Ben,

I Didn’t get far enough to use Tracking.  I wasn’t able to get any properties I needed (BIG01 and BIG02) promoted on an outbound EDI 810 document, using either the default AS2EdiSent or EdiSend pipelines.  I tried a custom pipeline but I wasn’t able to access any message context properties (“http://schemas.microsoft.com/Edi/PropertySchema”) or workable data in the message stream that would allow me to use xpath expressions to get the values to manually promote.

I have used property schemas with non-EDI documents with no issues and the properties and values were available in HAT. 

Thanks

Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:33 PM
  • I have nothing against using a custom pipeline component. Did you just trying to promote the property in the custom EDI schema and then set the value in an orchestration? This is a little easier than the custom pipeline component approach.

Thanks,
    Friday, November 6, 2009 4:04 AM
  • Ben,

I could promote my properties in an orchestration or pipeline, but it looks like all bets are off in BizTalk once you send an outbound message to the EDI engine with promoted props.  This is compounded by the need to batch my 810s so all correlations disappear when I send the EDI files to the batching orchestration in BizTalk. 

My work around is to log all the incoming 997’s to a database using a custom pipeline.  I can then query my 997’s from my database and the outgoing 810’s using Group and Transaction Set control numbers which for the 810s are stored in BAM ([bam_TransactionSetActivity_AllInstances]).   Once I have this external correlation I can use the [BAMPrimaryImport.dbo.bam_TransactionSetActivity_AllInstances.MessageContentKey] and link to the [BizTalkDTADb.dbo.EdiMessageContent.ContentKey] and get the EDI message content.  At this point I can convert the [BizTalkDTADb.dbo.EdiMessageContent.ContentBinary] image to a varchar and parse out the Invoice Number and Invoice Date for my reporting.

Not the most elegant but it seems to be working.

I better way would be to have the 997’s in BAM which they are but their AK5 (Transaction Set Response) are not stored so the only way to read them is from the actual message.  This seems strange because if you use the Group Hub page and dig down through the “EDI Interchange and Correlated ACK status” to check a batch of invoices the reports will tell you there were failures in the batch but there is no way to tell which particular invoice(s) failed.

Also…

Thanks to Mike Koerner’s post in the tread “Processing Inbound 997 Acks” which helped me figure out how to query my messages in BAM.

Thanks

Tom

Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:37 PM