Is there a need for a Silverlight Sprite Engine? RRS feed

All replies

• The guys over at Envy Games are working on a Silveright game engine called Play Bits: http://www.envygames.com/content/?page_id=327
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 11:19 AM
  • I think sprite rendering is a good fit for SilverLight at the moment, given the (limited) GPU acceleration, and performance constraints of running in-browser.  It's also relatively simple to implement.

The guys over at Envy Games are working on a Silveright game engine called Play Bits: http://www.envygames.com/content/?page_id=327

I wish they would provide more technical information about things like what type of scene graph they are using, and how they are compiling these sprite animations (sprite sheets compiled in separate program?), are the sprite animations dynamically sizing  etc..  I imagine the Farseer Physics Engine must implement its own scene graph, so they are probably making use of it.  At the end of the demonstration video, they claimed performance in the order of 120-250fps.  For how many sprites and/or physics objects?  Color me skeptical.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:51 PM
  •  I have seen this Play Bits before, but I were more thinking of a "open source community" kind of sprite engine.

Thanks for the comments both of you :)

Sunday, March 29, 2009 5:18 AM
  • Honestly, if you use the code samples from Silverlight Games 101 you can build a basic game engine. Then add the Farseer Physics Engine and utilize Andy Beaulieu's Physics Helper library you could extend your basic engine and get something halfway decent without too much effort. After that it would just be a matter of tweaking.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:09 AM
  •  

Honestly, if you use the code samples from Silverlight Games 101 you can build a basic game engine. Then add the Farseer Physics Engine and utilize Andy Beaulieu's Physics Helper library you could extend your basic engine and get something halfway decent without too much effort. After that it would just be a matter of tweaking.

I know, what I'm asking is if people thinks there is a need for an engine like this and/or if somebody already made it?

As I read your suggestion it sounds like everybody should create there own, which could be ok as you learn the most by creating it by your self. At the same time we could maybe save some time if there were some "engine" with some smart generic bases classes.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I'm always intrested in seeing things done differently or best practices and such. If you decide that you want to put one together it definitely won't be a waste.

I'm working on a very basic game framework that I'll end up using and updating as time goes on, different games and such. The only real work I have in it is pulling the code out of the xaml files and attaching pseudo controller classes to them, then using a scene controller to set the current scene, construct whats needed for the scene, clearing out the old ones, having the scenes draw method attached to the game loop. I thought about throwing it out there as a shareable project, but I'm sure I'm not doing it the right way, just kind of the direction I went.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Don't think any of us will do a Silverlight Sprite Engine "right" by our self, but working together, you maybe could. Always good to have someone to discuss problems/ideas etc with Smile

The problem is that it needs to be coordinated really great to be successfully and contributors needs to be "active". Sadly these kind of projects seems to die out over time somehow... Sad

Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Yah, that definitely seems to be the pattern. I'm still in the process of getting the hang of good oop (coming from procedural not to long ago) and picking up silverlight, so I definitely wont be able to lead a project atm. But I am more than will to participate and could dedicate some time, realisticly a night a week kind of thing to start with.

I'm going out of town next week, but going to do some game stuff on the plane. I'll clean it up and share what I have if you want to get something like this started. It's mvc, domain model coding and most likely nhibernate for the data layer (just haven't got that far yet). Tests are kind of lacking in silverlight though, I didn't want to test the xaml elements just the logic of the code, that's why I broke the code-behinds out into pseudo-controllers. It seems so akward to have to load the browser to perform tests. Not a real excuse for the lack of tests though I guess.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Well, I don't either have the time or skills at the moment to run such a thing.

My "idea" just were to have some library you could include and then just by inherit/implement some interfaces/classes, you had a solid foundation for a sprite based game. That is my idea for an "Silverlight Sprite Engine". I'm am currently doing some prototyping for a Silverlight game where I try out the MVC implementation Joel Neubeck have some articles about. While I do this prototyping I try to think about how I could pull some of the classes out in it own library so it could be reused. Then when I build the actual game I will try to have all this "sprite engine" code in a "reuse-able" library (I guess I'm dreaming at the moment Stick out tongue). But let's see how it turns out, no promisses Big Smile

But I will surely post about it here and on my blog if I ever get anything going.

PS: As you can see there must be some kind of interest in such an engine, as this thread have pretty many views :)

Friday, April 3, 2009 4:35 PM