VS 2008 Win 7 Error 1935 RRS feed

• Question

• User125860816 posted

I have been trying to install Visual Studio 2008 for two days now on a windows 7 machine.  The frustration level is now VERY HIGH.   I have managed to receive quite a number of Error 1935 bs messages.   

I have read all I can about it on the net.   I now currently have an HRESULT: 0x80070091 (for those that don't know what these codes mean this one I believe is "The directory is not empty.").   Well no duh!  The install just created the directory and dropped vcomp90.dll into the directory.

Here is the full text of the error:

[02/28/10,16:18:55] Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Architecture Edition - ENU: [2] ERROR:Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,version="9.0.21022.8",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070091.

Here is what I have done so far:

1) rebooted (about 30 times)

2) turned off windows updates

3) turned off every non-essential start up item.

4) rebooted into unix several times to clean the winsxs dir

5) rebooted after each change I make to the system.

I am now going to try installing it in safe mode (if there is a safe mode in windows 7 and I can figure out how to get there).

Things to know:

I have SQL Server 2008 Express installed.

I have Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5 installed

I have antivirus installed 

I have a few other (very few at this point) utilities installed.

The machine was just built (less than 1 week old).

I am running windows 7 64bit pro.

The disk is in a Raid 1 configuration.

I have a lot less hair than I did two days ago from pulling it all out.Wink

Any help would be welcome.

Monday, March 1, 2010 10:56 AM

Answers

• User125860816 posted

I reinstalled the OS; complete format and reinstall.

Then I installed VS2008 - went fine.

Then I installed Office 2007 - went fine.

Then I installed SQL Server 2008 Developer - went ok.  Two components did not install.

I installed windows updates (650MB worth) - went fine.

Rebooted

Ran the SQL Server 2008 install; added the two failed components - went fine this time.

Installed windows updates (250MB worth) -  Still in progress but I am hopeful.

After this I will install AV and the rest of my tools/utilities...  Hopefully I will never have to re-install any of that software.  LOL

At least it is running for now.  Think I will make a snapshot of the disk so if I need to re-install I can just go back to this point.

--Alva

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:40 PM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

Running as Admin?  AV software disabled?  Using Windows Platform Installer?

Jeff 

Monday, March 1, 2010 12:20 PM
  • User125860816 posted

Yes as admin

yes with av disabled

not sure about that - using the installer that is on the DVD.

Oh, and I did down load C# 2008 Express Edition and got that installed so at least I am working somewhat now.  However, I hope this is not the final solution.   LOL.

Thanks!

Monday, March 1, 2010 4:32 PM
  • User-1011786642 posted

Hi, I think this is something related to assembly folder. Probably a permission issue. Can you try to install something which also adds assemblies to this folder? Maybe windows sdk...

Regards

Night_dog

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:43 AM
  • User125860816 posted

Well the sdk did install correctly, but I just tried to install Office 2007 and received a similar error.  It's looking like I may be reinstalling the os as much as that stinks.

Doesn't seem to be any solution anywhere.   Hopefully I will get the install order correct this time so it works.  

Man I just love this new "security" and "stability".

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:48 PM
  • User125860816 posted

I reinstalled the OS; complete format and reinstall.

Then I installed VS2008 - went fine.

Then I installed Office 2007 - went fine.

Then I installed SQL Server 2008 Developer - went ok.  Two components did not install.

I installed windows updates (650MB worth) - went fine.

Rebooted

Ran the SQL Server 2008 install; added the two failed components - went fine this time.

Installed windows updates (250MB worth) -  Still in progress but I am hopeful.

After this I will install AV and the rest of my tools/utilities...  Hopefully I will never have to re-install any of that software.  LOL

At least it is running for now.  Think I will make a snapshot of the disk so if I need to re-install I can just go back to this point.

--Alva

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:40 PM
  • User-1011786642 posted

I'm glad that everything is working now. I didn't want to mention format and reinstall in my previous post, I was hoping that the problem is only with Visual Studio and is not so serious. I've also had similar issue the last year. I've tried to upgrade Windows server 2008 to Windows server 2008 R2 and this was a big mistake. After this - almost every installation related to assembly folder failed with the same errors.  At the end I've decided to not losing my time anymore searching for a solution, and did format & reinstall.

Regards,

Night_dog 

Thursday, March 4, 2010 1:43 AM
  • User125860816 posted

LOL.. I learned a long time ago not to mess around with problems in windows.   If I play with it for more than an hour and can't resolve then I just format and reinstall (or reinstall the last best Ghost image).   It's much faster and less painful. 

Thanks for the other suggestions though, it's always worth a try to get things resolved.

--Alva

Thursday, March 4, 2010 1:41 PM