Recovery Pending RRS feed

• Question

• Date,Source,Severity,Message
    02/07/2020 08:57:48,spid20s,Unknown,File activation failure. The physical file name "L:\LogFiles\Alerts_log.ldf" may be incorrect.
    02/07/2020 08:57:48,spid20s,Unknown,FileMgr::StartLogFiles: Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.) occurred while creating or opening file 'L:\LogFiles\Alerts_log.ldf'. Diagnose and correct the operating system error<c/> and retry the operation.
    02/07/2020 08:57:48,spid20s,Unknown,Unable to open the physical file "I:\DataFiles\Alerts.mdf". Operating system error 3: "3(The system cannot find the path specified.)".
    02/07/2020 08:57:48,spid20s,Unknown,FCB::Open failed: Could not open file I:\DataFiles\Alerts.mdf for file number 1.  OS error: 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).
    02/07/2020 08:57:48,spid20s,Unknown,Starting up database 'Alerts'.
    02/07/2020 07:52:06,spid52,Unknown,Starting up database 'Alerts'.
    01/29/2020 00:51:29,spid4s,Unknown,processing sp: sp_get_job_alerts
    01/29/2020 00:51:22,spid4s,Unknown,Creating procedure sp_get_job_alerts...
    01/29/2020 00:51:21,spid4s,Unknown,Creating view sysalerts_performance_counters_view...
    01/29/2020 00:51:21,spid4s,Unknown,Dropping signature from: sp_get_job_alerts
    Saturday, February 8, 2020 4:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Can you check and make sure the file paths mentioned for both ldf and mdf files exists and accessible by the sql service account. If all that works fine, see if you restart the sql service

Hope it Helps!!

Saturday, February 8, 2020 4:47 AM
  • >>Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.) occurred while creating or opening file >>>'L:\LogFiles\Alerts_log.ldf'. Diagnose and correct the operating system error<c/> and retry the operation.

Please make sure that Alerts_log.ldf is located on drive L. Is that possible someone deleted this file?

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Sunday, February 9, 2020 5:12 AM
  • Somebody moved mdf and ldf files while db was offline or sql service off?

In master database there is a system table that lists/registers all files belonging to a database.

At startup, or when you want to put the db online, sql tries to open these files to perform recovery and bring the db online. In your case the files are missing. Find them and place them at location sql expects them to be, as shown in error messages. The other way would be with hack attach, a bit more complex process. If you cannot find these files, you will have to restore from a backup. Or, if they are deleted, and you do not have a backup, try a recovery tool to undelete. That often recovers only partial database and is followed by a painful recovery with data loss process, extracting whatever is possible. I did even that few times with a remarkable success.

Sunday, February 9, 2020 2:22 PM
  • Hi Imraan habib,

>> Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.) occurred while creating or opening file 'L:\LogFiles\Alerts_log.ldf'. Could not open file I:\DataFiles\Alerts.mdf for file number 1.  OS error: 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

According to your error message, please follow below steps to troubleshot the issue.
    1. Please make sure both Alerts_log.ldf and Alerts.mdf files are existed in the corrected file paths  'L:\LogFiles\Alerts_log.ldf ‘ and ‘I:\DataFiles\Alerts.mdf’.  And the file names are correct.
    2. Make sure your service account have the permission to access both file paths 'L:\LogFiles\Alerts_log.ldf ‘ and ‘I:\DataFiles\Alerts.mdf’. 
    3. If both 1 and 2 steps are fine. May be your Alerts_log.ldf or Alerts.mdf files are corrupt, you need to place the Alerts database backup files to the corrected location that your error log mentioned.

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, February 10, 2020 2:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Imraan habib Tuesday, March 31, 2020 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 5:00 AM
  • issue solved 

M. Habib

Sunday, March 15, 2020 8:37 AM