XML Web Service Versions RRS feed

• Question

• User1877578117 posted

I have inherited 3 XML Web services (asmx) contained in a single ASP.NET Web site project (VB.NET, .NET 2).  I would like to create an ASP.NET Web Application project (VB.NET, .NET 4.5), and copy all of the services into that.  Then, replace the old Web site.

The reason I would like to do that is partly so I can add the application to GitHub, and partly so I can break some of the code into separate projects, for example, a DAL project.

I wonder if I can just pretty much copy and paste the web services into the new application, or will I have a problem related to versioning?

There are a lot of different companies that call the old .asmx Web services and they cannot be asked to update their Web references etc.

Thanks very much for any help.

Saturday, June 3, 2017 6:11 PM

Answers

• User991499041 posted

Hi cmsesan1,

I wonder if I can just pretty much copy and paste the web services into the new application, or will I have a problem related to versioning?

Some changes in the .NET Framework require changes to your code. You may also want to take advantage of functionality that is new in the .NET Framework 4.5 and its point releases.

Review the following documents before you migrate your app from earlier versions of the .NET Framework to version 4.5

• See Versions and Dependencies to understand the CLR version underlying each version of the .NET Framework and to review guidelines for targeting your apps successfully.

• Review Application Compatibility to find out about runtime and retargeting changes that might affect your app and how to handle them.

• Review What's Obsolete in the Class Library to determine any types or members in your code that have been made obsolete, and the recommended alternatives.

• See What's New for descriptions of new features that you may want to add to your app.

Regards,

zxj

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 4:04 AM
  • User475983607 posted

Web services are nothing more than an interface into business logic.  As long as the end point and data contracts do not change then you should be fine.  I would create a proof of concept first.  Stand up a test service written in 4.5 and point an existing client to the test service. 

Monday, June 5, 2017 11:34 AM

All replies

• User991499041 posted

Hi cmsesan1,

Some changes in the .NET Framework require changes to your code. You may also want to take advantage of functionality that is new in the .NET Framework 4.5 and its point releases.

Review the following documents before you migrate your app from earlier versions of the .NET Framework to version 4.5

• See Versions and Dependencies to understand the CLR version underlying each version of the .NET Framework and to review guidelines for targeting your apps successfully.

• Review Application Compatibility to find out about runtime and retargeting changes that might affect your app and how to handle them.

• Review What's Obsolete in the Class Library to determine any types or members in your code that have been made obsolete, and the recommended alternatives.

• See What's New for descriptions of new features that you may want to add to your app.

Regards,

zxj

Monday, June 5, 2017 4:04 AM
  • User475983607 posted

Web services are nothing more than an interface into business logic.  As long as the end point and data contracts do not change then you should be fine.  I would create a proof of concept first.  Stand up a test service written in 4.5 and point an existing client to the test service. 

Monday, June 5, 2017 11:34 AM
  • User1877578117 posted

That answered my question. I created a test application, upgraded the Web service application, and my test application still works the same.

Thanks

Saturday, June 10, 2017 12:22 PM