none
Excel 2013 not connecting to the internet? RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently installed Office 2013 and am looking to use the mapping options in Excel 2013. Running a simple Power View test and clicking 'Map' returns "Bing error: Map tiles not found. A connection to Bing could not be established".

Also, clicking File, New returns "Sorry, we had trouble getting the featured templates and can't show them right now".

Next I tried a bit of VBA to clarify the internet connection:

Set objHttp = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
         objHttp.Open "GET", "http://www.bing.com
    ", False
         objHttp.Send ""

This fails to connect, Excel is definitely not seeing the internet.

Before you ask, yes I can see the internet, IE 11 is connecting fine with no problems.

I have tried connecting to an IP address rather than URL, still no joy. Not a DNS issue.

My network connection is going through a proxy server, so I tried the following:

Set objHttp = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
         objHttp.Open "GET", "http://www.bing.com
    ", False

objHttp.setRequestHeader "User-Agent", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)"
         objHttp.setProxy 2, "<proxyIP>:<port>", ""
         objHttp.SetCredentials "<username>", "<password>", HTTPREQUEST_SETCREDENTIALS_FOR_SERVER
         objHttp.SetCredentials "
    <username>", "<password>", HTTPREQUEST_SETCREDENTIALS_FOR_PROXY

objHttp.Send ""

And blow me it works. For some reason Excel is failing to navigate my proxy, despite the proxy settings being in the IE11 config.

I have attempted to persuade Excel to use the proxy settings by creating an excel.exe.config file, as follows:

<configuration>
     <system.net>
      <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true">
       <proxy usesystemdefault="true"/>
      </defaultProxy>
     </system.net>
    < /configuration>

But still no joy.

An internet browse shows other people having trouble using Power View Maps whilst behind a proxy. My question is how can I use the map options whilst being behind a proxy? I can't believe the nice new features are dependent on having an unproxy'd internet connection.

Windows 7 64 bit SP1, Intel Core 3.2 ghz, 8gb ram, Office 2013 Professional Plus.

Help appreciated,

Bish.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Excel, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum for VBA

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=isvvba&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:19 AM
  • I was actually advised to post on this forum by a Microsoft Support Engineer,

htttp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/excel-2013-not-connecting-to-the-internet/f8c12856-d70b-4037-a98b-b1cb9078ba4f?tm=1386673409593

Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:46 AM
  • This is the second time I've been bumped to a different forum, I do not believe it is appropriate to post this on the VBA forum as the problem is not to do with VBA. I have simply used VBA to diagnose what is going wrong.

To reiterate, the problem is that the Map function on Powerview is returning the error "Bing error: Map tiles not found. A connection to Bing could not be established".

Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:01 AM