none
Outlook 2010: Event is not fired anymore if there is a inactivity about 25 minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Folks,

I have a strange behavior with an Outlook Addin.

The AddIn provides an integration into our document management system (aka Saperion). It use the Drag&Drop Folder Events and supports also moved Mail Items by rules.

After that event is fired, it does some magic (archiving the mail item).

Now my problem:

- If the mailbox does not receive a mail for about  ~>25 min, that the event is not fired anymore.

- If i disable and after that enable it again (Outlook is still running, not restarted), the events are fired/ working again for the given time.

It seems to me, that the addin is in cause of inactivity not in memory/deactivated or something similar.

Does anyone know what could be the problem/reason for this strange behavior or what should be checked? 

Sadly I do not have access to the source code, but I am in contact with the help desk.

Kind regards,

Jochen

• Edited by Jochen_F Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:49 AM

Answers

• Usually if you see a problem like you describe it's due to code that doesn't declare the event handlers at a scope where they will stay alive. They end up going out of scope and sometime later they are garbage collected and stop working. If you disable and then re-enable the addin the initialization code runs again and the events work again, until they get garbage collected again.

If this is actually the problem there's nothing you or the help desk can do. It would be a problem only the developer could fix.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Hello Jochen,

The Outlook object model doesn't provide any Drag&Drop Folder Events. What event are you talking about?

The Items class provides the ItemAdd event for tracking new items. But this event does not work well with large number of items. It only processes 16 items at a time. Anything above the 16 items and the event will not be raised. You can read more about this in the OL2000: ItemAdd Event Doesn't Fire in Some Scenarios article.

Finally, please understand that the current forum is for developers. I'd suggest contacting add-in developers instead.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:56 AM

All replies

• Hello Jochen,

The Outlook object model doesn't provide any Drag&Drop Folder Events. What event are you talking about?

The Items class provides the ItemAdd event for tracking new items. But this event does not work well with large number of items. It only processes 16 items at a time. Anything above the 16 items and the event will not be raised. You can read more about this in the OL2000: ItemAdd Event Doesn't Fire in Some Scenarios article.

Finally, please understand that the current forum is for developers. I'd suggest contacting add-in developers instead.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:56 AM
  • Usually if you see a problem like you describe it's due to code that doesn't declare the event handlers at a scope where they will stay alive. They end up going out of scope and sometime later they are garbage collected and stop working. If you disable and then re-enable the addin the initialization code runs again and the events work again, until they get garbage collected again.

If this is actually the problem there's nothing you or the help desk can do. It would be a problem only the developer could fix.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

Since we haven't heard from you for a long time, I temporarily close this case. I mark useful reply as answer. If you have any concerns, please free feel to reopen it or submit a new question.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

Fei 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:32 AM