Change Column Names from Source to Destination in Data Flow Task RRS feed

• Question

• Perhaps I'm missing something simple, but I am developing a package to move data from a text file to an SQL table and I cannot figure out how to change the column names in the destination table to different column names from source file.  So in other words, the first column in source file is named Column 0 (no column names in source file) and I would like to name it ACCOUNT in my table.  

I tried setting up my data flow task to move straight from flat file source to SQL Server Destination and tried playing with the Advanced Editor/ Input and Output Properties to change the column names there with no success.  I tried putting a Derived Column task between source and destination and changing column names there but without success.  I'd like to do this as cleanly/efficiently as possible as this package will be run regularly.

I am using 2008 R2 server.

I'm new to SSIS and may just be overlooking something simple and logical.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Cooper 

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:21 PM

Answers

• Use the Advanced property page of the Flat File connection manager to set the column name to a desired name

Arthur My Blog

• Edited by ArthurZ Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:29 PM Image added
    • Proposed as answer by DotNetMonster Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cooper Keller Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:28 PM

All replies

• Use the Advanced property page of the Flat File connection manager to set the column name to a desired name

Arthur My Blog

• Edited by ArthurZ Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:29 PM Image added
    • Proposed as answer by DotNetMonster Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cooper Keller Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:28 PM
  • That did the trick Arthur.  I knew it was relatively simple.  Sometimes we overcomplicate when learning something new (I do anyway).  Thank you!

Cooper Keller

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:22 PM