Kinect V2 Maximum range RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a project that needs depth sensing at 5M. The Kinect V2 spec lists the maximum range as 4.5M. Is there any chance that it will sense at 5M? If not, can you suggest any other type of sensor with a greater maximum sensing range?

Thank you.

AS Link

Friday, September 5, 2014 1:22 PM

Answers

• The Kinect v2 can physically sense depth at 8 meters. So Yes you can sense objects at 5M. However 4.5M  is where you can reliably track body joints. Anything beyond 4.5 meters your body tracking yields inconsistent results. Objects are still sensed, but you have to write custom code to do anything useful, there's nothing in the framework sdk that automatically detects people or objects other than the raw depth values.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Andy Link Friday, September 5, 2014 2:58 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 2:33 PM

All replies

• The Kinect v2 can physically sense depth at 8 meters. So Yes you can sense objects at 5M. However 4.5M  is where you can reliably track body joints. Anything beyond 4.5 meters your body tracking yields inconsistent results. Objects are still sensed, but you have to write custom code to do anything useful, there's nothing in the framework sdk that automatically detects people or objects other than the raw depth values.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Andy Link Friday, September 5, 2014 2:58 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Thanks for your reply - this is good news and very helpful.

AS Link

Friday, September 5, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Hi, that's very useful information regarding to how fare the body is away from the KInect V2 however, is there any info about the width length, I mean, if a body is about 1.5-2,5 meters away from the Kinect V2. How far in meters can the person walk (keeping the same distance from the Kinect V2) and keep being tracked by the Kinect sensor?

Thanks.

George

Sunday, September 6, 2015 2:09 PM
  • what you called "width length" is directly related to the Horizontal Field of View.

Kinect v2 H-FOV is 70.6°

Doing some math calculus: width-length = 2 * distance * tan (FOV/2)

• width-length for an object at 1m is: 1,4m
    • width-length for an object at 1.5m is:  2m
    • width-length for an object at 2m is:  2,8m
    • width-length for an object at 2.5m is: 3.5m

Hope this helps

(don't forget to close the thread by marking a post as Answered)

Vincent Guigui Innovative Technologies Expert at OCTO Technology Kinect For Windows MVP award

Monday, September 7, 2015 9:49 AM
  • No results with 38 meters (~125 feet)?
    Monday, August 7, 2017 9:04 PM
  • 38? Of course not. 8meters is the maximum possible distance though not the max optimal(where optimal refers to optimal accuracy of the data).
    Tuesday, August 8, 2017 12:11 AM
  • hi, 

Your Answer was really helpful, but can you help me solve one more question? 

If the Kinect Vs one is planted from the wall at about 1.5 M then how much can it "see" horizontally and vertically? 

Monday, January 29, 2018 5:00 PM
  • The field of view for the color camera is 84.1 degrees horizontally and 53.8 degrees vertically. For the depth camera it's 70.6 degrees horizontally and 60 degrees vertically.

When it's 1.5m away from a wall and facing the wall it should see pretty much everything due to it's wide angle, but it's also dependent on placement height and sensor tilting.

Monday, January 29, 2018 6:16 PM
  • Hi, 

I'm trying to achieve what @Jess1491 is as well, was wondering if there's any estimate or accurate data on just how wide of angle that the sensor can detect ?

I'm hoping to cover a 6m(w) x 3m(h) wall using kinect one, and working on figuring out how many Kinect Ones do I need to achieve this. 

Thank you so much in advance ! 
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:04 AM