Can we PLEASE get a new Mixer and maybe Codename:Monaco for W8?

General discussion

• While I am warming to W8 quite nicely, and I love Windows 7, there are a few things that annoy me no end. Here goes:

1. The mixer is awful. While Windows 7 seems to magically be better than XP and Vista in terms of audio quality, and while I do understand that a lot of Windows users want to play sounds from multiple sources at the same time (music, system sounds, website, etc)... but can we PLEASE do something about it's latency and quality issues? I really, really hate having to install ASIO4All to make music applications not sounds like rubbish (and to get midi software to trigger in a timely fashion). One thing that I hate even MORE, is that it "just works" on Macs, and I am constantly getting grief from those users on how great Sibelius sounds out-of-the-box, and how I need to add extra rubbish to my system to get sound working correctly. Sigh.
    2. While I am on the subject of sound. PLEASE do something about GarageBand! Project "Monaco" was announced/leaked year ago, and nothing. I have tried convincing Music Departments at Schools to use CakeWalk SONAR Home Studio, or MixCraft 5, or similar on PCs instead... but nope... Garageband. I know schools that have switched from PCs to Macs at considerable expense, just to get GarageBand. It's also a pretty neat and much-loved tool on the iPad as well. The fact Apple does a box-drop with iLife and gives people video editing, DVD authoring, photo management, and sound production... FOR FREE... is pretty enticing for some educational institutions. I know of tens of thousands of systems that have switched to Mac to use these bundled apps. Now, while "Movie Maker" is getting there, and Photo Gallery is okay, there's one HUGE omission, and you know what you need to do.

I have dozens of devices in my home, including a nice W7 computer with Sonar and an iMac with Garageband... guess which was easier/cheaper to build and get running (and it isn't the PC). I have a couple of tablet/slate devices, but only one has mucis apps that suit my needs (and the brand is a fruit). Windows 8 Preview has a cool piano app, but we need a whole multi-track recording application with real and virtual instruments, loops, midi editing and notation. Without that, I see even more PC market-share in schools and homes disappearing from Microsoft's grasp. Even with apps, having terrible latency issues and poor/distorted sound quality is inexcusable.

If you want to see what I mean, get the free Amplitube application, run it on Windows and try to make it sound nice without an ASIO-compliant soundcard (hard on a notebook or tablet computer) or software wrapper... you can't. It's sad.

Friday, October 21, 2011 6:29 AM

All replies

• Why would you need the mixer device? For recording sake? Why not stick to Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) or ASIO?

That's not to neglect your question but rather to understand the necessity.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Friday, October 21, 2011 12:09 PM