Windows Update needs Improvements in Win8

General discussion

• So obviously there have only been a small number of updates for Windows 8 so far.  Most of what I'm going to write is therefore going to be about the experience I had re-installing Windows 7 on a new SSD yesterday.

Namely, Windows Update is horrible.  Now, I have no problem with having updates as soon as I initially boot into Windows for the first time (though there are plenty who think this is ridiculous, for some reason).  However, yesterday I literally spent all day updating.  First were the initial updates, about 90 of those, then a reboot.  And then came SP1, then a reboot.  Then came .Net and Visual Studio runtimes (needed for some of my applications), and a reboot.  Then there were updates for .Net and Visual Studio, another reboot.  Then service packs for .Net and VS, and another reboot.  And then more updates for .Net and VS, and another reboot before I was done.

This is a ridiculous process and needs to be streamlined for the average user.  One... when I use an online installer of .Net or Visual Studio, why wouldn't it install the latest version immediately rather than installing an old version and then updating them a million times?  The same could be said about .Net, VS, SQL Server, probably others.

Two, I understand that there are some prerequisites for some updates, but you really need to figure out a way to get this all done in one process automatically, only needing one reboot, rather than needing to install some, reboot, install others, reboot, etc.

And three, isn't the point of the Service Packs that it encompasses most (if not all) of the earlier updates?  If that's the case, why should there be 90 updates before Windows Update even finds a SP?  Seeing that many updates is intimidating to less advanced users when they take their PC out of the box.  And that's assuming they even bother to check multiple times.  When Windows Update finishes after an initial run, the average user is going to think they're up to date, and not check again to see if there's more.  That means for the period of time until they are notified by Windows again, they're going to think their system is secure, when clearly it is not.

I really hope that this process can be fixed in Windows 8, because frankly, right now it's broken.

Edit:  And that's not even considering how much of a mess it is for the average/non-technical user having different applications that need .Net 3.5, others that need .Net 4, some needing VS2005, others 2008, and others 2010, etc.  But that is off topic for this post.

• Edited by JHoff80 Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:21 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:19 PM

All replies

• Glad to see the latest post that Windows Update is being improved in Windows 8, but unfortunately nothing mentioned in the post addressed any of these issues.

Yeah, it sounds like you're consolidating updates into one reboot, but that seems to be all about a computer that's constantly being kept up to date.  Something needs to be done about the out of box experience for a computer that's bought maybe a year after Windows 8 comes out, for example.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:32 AM
  • I agree. It usually takes an entire day to bring a non-patched Windows installation up-to-date with the latest updates. I have to leave aside all my work and spend hours updating a PC. This is completely unacceptable and the experience needs to be improved. I have read http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/11/14/minimizing-restarts-after-automatic-updating-in-windows-update.aspx but the focus is entirely on reducing reboots, and not on offering / installing updates in the most intuitive way and there seem to be no improvements to the speed of installing service packs and updates.
    For machines without service packs, all other updates except the service pack and prerequisite updates for the service pack should never be shown. This will ensure the user installs the service pack first and does not waste time downloading and installing updates which is superseded by the service pack anyways.
    Second is the speed of installing updates which I have also talked about in detail on the Windows Update blog post. It's too slow. Slow to the point of wasting hours and hours on it. This was NOT the case with Windows XP where updates installed much faster. You can measure the time using a stop watch timer.
    I understand that just one reboot is not possible. At least one reboot to install the latest service pack is acceptable. Then another reboot to install all the post service pack updates is okay. More than 2 reboots to install all the updates is totally non-intuitive.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:17 AM